3. Golden Princess
I was a little nervous about taking this cruise after reading some of the reviews but I am happy to say that I had an enjoyable trip. Yes, the boat is old, but that is what I was expecting and it was still fine in every way. We didn’t have many issues on board. I did not see any of the leaking and buckets in previous reviews. I did smell sewage in one section of the boat in the same spot every time on deck 7 on my way to the Explorer lounge. Embarkation and Disembarkation was a breeze. No issues here. I saw most of the entertainment shows and especially loved the comedian that performed on 2 different nights. I also attended some of the onboard activities relating to trivia which were always fun. I really enjoyed the food in the main dining room, Donatello, and our wait staff was great. I had dinner in both specialty restaurants, the Crown Grille being much better than Sabatini’s in both food and service. The international café had good food as well. We had a mini-suite with 3 adults in the room. There was ample storage for all of us as well as enough space. The water pressure was great in our shower, which I was not expecting. However, they provide shampoo/conditioner all in one, which I find annoying and will not use. We had no issues with our room and our cabin steward was awesome. I also did not feel pressure on this ship to buy anything nor was it really mentioned. I never used the gym, but did go to the spa twice. I got a Swedish massage, which was just ok, and also got a keratin hair treatment as it was on sale during an at sea day. Loved the hair treatment. I didn’t use any of the pools or hot tubs either, so no comment on those. I only had the soda package, but I found that the drinks/coffee was not that expensive al carte. We took Princess excursions at each port, which were good. I would have hoped the disembarkation was more organized as in you meet with your group and then all leave the ship together before the general passengers disembarked. However, it was just a free-for-all to get off the ship and find where you excursion was meeting off the boat. Now for the not so great things: 1) Wireless internet – what a mess and waste of money this was. It was VERY slow or did not work at all. I spent most of my time trying to get things to load then actually doing things. Princess really needs to up their game in this area as I have been on other cruise lines with much better service. 2) Horizon Court buffet – this needs help. The food selection here is terrible and it definitely falls far below what I have seen on other ships, which is why I ate in the main dining room most nights. 3) Sabatini’s – this was also a waste of money. I would have preferred eating in the main dining room instead of going to this specialty restaurant. The food was not all that good nor the selection of options. Also, the bread in the main dining room was much better than this place, which seems strange!! The décor also needs some work. 4) Galley tour – not sure what this was, but all we did was walk through in a line with no narration some parts of the kitchen. Waste of time. Overall, we had a great trip. Enjoyed the ports as well as the glacier cursing at Glacier Bay and College Fjord. I would never say never on going on Princess again if the price and itinerary was right, however it would not be my first choice as I had a better cruise on Celebrity in the past. Lastly, we did the 3-day land portion after our cruise. I found that Princess handled everything smoothly and everything ran like clockwork with our luggage and transports to each place. No issues there and that was an enjoyable trip as well!

Great and enjoyable cruise - June 30th - Vancouver to Whitter

Golden Princess Cruise Review by kam9903

• Sail Date: June 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

Embarkation and Disembarkation was a breeze. No issues here.

I didn’t use any of the pools or hot tubs either, so no comment on those.

Now for the not so great things:

kam9903’s Full Rating Summary
Get Golden Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB
We had a mini suite. It was spacious and had ample storage for 3 adults. No issue in the cabin and our steward was great!
Dolphin Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Glacier Bay
    Viewing this was beautiful. You can see these from your balcony stateroom or above on decks. The captain gets as close as we can and does both sides of the ship for viewing. The College Fjord is just as great if not better!
    View All 653 Glacier Bay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Glacier Bay Cruise Port Review
  • Whales, Bears and Glaciers
    We did the combo tour of whale-watching and then Mendenhall Glacier. You spend most of the time whale watching on this excursion and about an hour at the Glacier. The boat you take whale watching is nice and has bathrooms and refreshments. There is indoor seating as well as outdoor standing areas. The captain goes to where their are whale sightings are and we saw about 6 different humpback whales and some sea lions. Great trip! Then we got bused to the glacier and had enough time to hike/walk the path to where the glacier and waterfall is. Pretty sights and easy walk. FYI you do not get to touch or walk on the glacier so if that is what you want to do, pick a different excursion. There was enough time to walk/shop the port as well.
    View All 52 Whales, Bears and Glaciers Reviews
  • Snorkeling
    Snorkeling was fun! You see a lot of starfish, sea-cucumbers and sea urchins. The water is a bit murky. You are fully suited up in a wetsuit and i was never cold! This is strenuous activity at times and towards the end with the waves as we exited the cove it got a bit difficult.
    View All 30 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Yukon Suspension Bridge
    Not worth the money and i wish i would have done something else. You see some pretty sights, but really nothing that exciting. I wish i had know before what exactly this was. You get on a bus and take an hour or so long drive to the suspension bridge, which is not great, and then bus back. We did get to stop at some scenic areas for picture taking, which was nice. Not worth it - do something else.
    View All 55 Yukon Suspension Bridge Reviews
  • Vancouver
    We came in a day early and explored Vancouver for the day by utilizing the Hop-on Hop off to get around and see the sights.
    View All 620 Vancouver Cruise Port Reviews