3. Viking Emerald
We had been wanting to take a river cruise, but several people on our African Safari had been to China and said it was a "Must See", so we decided to combine our interest in a river cruise with seeing all the things we had wanted to see (but never thought we would) in China. Loved it. First, the guide was wonderful and very helpful. Besides seeing so many things we had wanted, like the Great Wall, Tiannamen Square, the Forbidden City, the Terra Cotta soldiers, we saw so much more. The Rickshaw ride through the Beijing Hutongs, the Sampan boat ride (with an espcially charming young women who told us the story of how the match maker knows which house has marriagable women and who eve sang to us) to the wonderful school excursion and all the perfomances we attended. It was amazing. The ship is a little old and was built in China by the Chinese, so, it was NOT a Viking long ship and probably was due for a little updating. However, we were more than comfortable in our room (and there was always so much to do, that we did not spend much time there.) Of course, being in China, there was a lot of Chinese food served, but different areas had different takes on the how the food was prepared. And while the ship had 2 Chinese food nights, Western food was always available and always really good. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and went out of their way to learn our names and our habits (after a couple of times, I did not have to even ask for my diet coke with my meal and black tea with my dessert as they remembered). Being a small ship, the opportunities for large entertainment extravaganzas were limited, but they did provide scaled down performances by the staff (and many of them were extremely talented) and local artists (and I learned how to play mahjong). Each night there was music and dancing from 10PM to 11:30PM and we had took full advantage of that. All in all, a great trip.

First Viking Cruise. Loved it.

Viking Emerald Cruise Review by wanderer9268

• Sail Date: April 2018
  • Destination: Asia

All in all, a great trip.
wanderer9268’s Full Rating Summary