3. MSC Fantasia
Based upon other reviews, I would not have selected this cruise but as it was a family affair booked from points halfway around the world, it was done. Let me first say there were many positives about this cruise - our typical social interaction with the servers at bar areas was generally most excellent, our cabin steward provided us with a tidy stateroom with fresh towels at all times, the wait staff in the Red Velvet dining area was good, though understaffed for our evening table of 13. We were very impressed with the cleanliness of the ship as a whole. That waned a bit as the cruise went on, especially after the arrival of passengers (and flies!?!) from Genoa. The main dining was generally bland. There were no excellent proclamations about any of the main courses although I will say a few of the desserts were quite tasty. I think we all expected more from the Italian meals that were served but none were outstanding. We saw one show - the dancing and choreography was very basic but the costumes were quite nice as well as two good singers with one of them being exceptional. It speaks quite a bit that nobody was interested in seeing another show. We were given the run around on a couple of occasions as the where to go, especially trying to go ashore in Cannes via the lifeboats/ferries. We stood in line to get tickets, told to be in the theater at 1140, arrived early and was then told we were late, the tickets didn't matter and it was 1st come, 1st serve to go ashore. We scurried back to the other end of the ship, saw the horrendous line waiting to go ashore and eventually didn't leave until ~1300. It appeared badly mismanaged as if it was everyone's first day on the job. Disembarking on our last day was nearly as bad, so I won't rehash it - going ashore at the other ports was relatively pain free. Several members of our group took shore excursions. All felt they were ripped off, from the exorbitant prices to not being delivered what was promised. Let me reiterate there were many positives about this ship and I would like to name every crew member that provided us with joy and service but unfortunately we did not keep a tally. There were a few crew members that were disinterested but by and large, they were positive interactions throughout. As a whole, I cannot rate this cruise/cruise line favorably with the cruises we have been on with Royal Caribbean other than they don't annoyingly push their products like RCCL seems to do. Take note, RCCL. I would do this again only if, as before, we did not have a choice. Our favorite ports were La Spezia and Palma, with the least enjoyable being Genoa by far. We also liked Barcelona (mainly because we spent a couple days there beforehand), Ajaccio and Civitavecchia. We did not go to Rome, as there is too much time pressure. Forgive my scattered approach to this review, we were up nearly 24 hours and I am feeling a bit tired since coming back to home sweet home!

Not Impressed Overall

MSC Fantasia Cruise Review by Zboots

• Sail Date: June 2018
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Suite – Aurea

I would do this again only if, as before, we did not have a choice.

Zboots’s Full Rating Summary
Get MSC Fantasia price drops

Balcony Suite – Aurea
Cabin S3 11010
The cabin was nice but seemed smaller than preferred for a suite. Perhaps it was the layout - we felt crowded a good bit, with one too many chairs in the pullout sleeper area. The shower water temperature was never steady, even in port. It would get scalding hot then cold all too often. It was well appointed other than that.

The balcony was lovely unless you wanted to sit - there were two chairs and a table but the balcony was so slender they were of little use. In addition, the little sprinklers for the windows always seemed to leak/spray at the most inopportune times. further reducing our ability to enjoy the whole balcony. Lovely views though.
Incanto Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins