Golden Princess Cruise Review

Golden Princess Cruise Review by Alexkelso

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

We purchased a land/sea package starting in Fairbanks and ending in Vancouver. The land package was great - the cruise portion was disappointing!

The major issue was that the “on ship” baggage staff mixed my GOLD luggage tag-which was the FIFTH scheduled group off the ship at 8:00 am with the CREAM luggage which was the TWENTY FIRST scheduled (9:10 am) set of luggage to be off loaded.

This mix- up was critical because we had a bus ride to the Seattle airport and they would NOT hold the bus past 9:00 am.

I now will not get my two bags until Thursday May 31st !!! That is TWELVE Days after the ship's arrival in Vancouver!!

The bag shipping company, DHL, does NOT work on Saturday(my arrival date of May 19th or Sunday- Monday May 21st was a Canadian holiday so Tuesday May 22nd was the first time the two bags could be shipped to me!, DHL received a northern California zip code from the Princess Port Agent, Destinations NA so my bags ended up in Sacramento CA. When this mid-direction was found out on Friday, May 25th, again DHL doesn't transfer freight on Saturdays or Sundays. Monday, May 28th was an American holiday, so on TUESDAY May 29th my bags are now being re-directed to Tennessee - EXCEPT now there is only ONE bag listed, not TWO

At this point I do not know when my bags will reach me - at least not until Thursday May 31st since I live in a rural area!

That means I will not have my bags for TWELVE days. When you are on a trip of 18 days you pack most of your clothes... I have to go out and buy clothes- yes, I have trip insurance, but that is not the point- the point is the TWELVE days that it will take to get the bags back to me!!!

The point also is that PRINCESS is porting at least two ships this Alaskan season in Vancouver - how many ships will arrive on a Saturday or Sunday - with no expeditious way to handle bag exceptions??? ....

CABIN ISSUES

We had a mini-suite on ninth level. The first night a circuit breaker caused a power outage in our cabin. It was late (11:30 pm) and needed it resolved so we could see if we had to get up during the night. We called the on/call cabin steward who initially told us to wait until the morning. I insisted and 40 minutes later an electrician showed and reset the breaker. No explanation on what caused the issue.

Second, there was a faulty faucet in the bathroom that sprayed water instead of stream it. The cabin steward did not resolve this for two days before I wrote a note and asked him to resolve.

ENTRY INTO PORTS

There were two ports where the ship arrived late which caused all tours to be late- and backed up as there were usually four other cruise ships in each port that we went into.

FOOD AND SERVICE

We scheduled one night a dinner in one of the speciality restaurants. We waited over 15 minutes after being seated before our waitress acknowledged us. When I complained about the time she was indigent “ You should expect this dinner to take 90 minutes” she said...... she talked down to us the whole way through the dinner. It just ruined the whole atmosphere of the dinner

Second, all the food was just OK, even in the dining rooms..... I really felt the food quality was down from the last cruise we had taken which over three years ago.

Overall, we would do the land portion again, but not the cruise.

Alexkelso's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BB D610

Glacier Bay National Park

Great tour. We actually had a moose walk on the road with us!!!

View All 20 Glacier Bay National Park Reviews
White Pass Scenic Railway

This was Ok......

View All 1212 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews
Flightseeing

The description and the actual tour was backwards. We thought we were doing the flightseeing first and then the crab feast, but in actuality we did the crab feast first and flew back to the ship. This made a difference to those that ate lunch before going/ thinking there was time before the crab feast.

View All 95 Flightseeing Reviews
Wilderness Tour & Crab Feast

Crab feast was all you could eat AND drink including wine and/ beer.

View All 129 Wilderness Tour & Crab Feast Reviews