Britannia Cruise Review

Another great cruise but disappointing Spa

Britannia Cruise Review by cobrakatie

• Sail Date: Apr 2017
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: undefined

This is our third time on Britannia with our young children and we had another great cruise. Whilst the layout of the ship can be confusing, Britannia is modern and clean with comfortable cabins and a great kid's club. The highlights for me are the Serenity Pool & The Crow's Nest bar.

We found the staff to be excellent once again, particularly with our children. On all three cruises we have been impressed with the facilities, cleanliness and friendliness of the staff at the kids's club 'The Reef'. The dining staff, whilst clearly very busy are friendly and helpful and made sure the children had what they needed food-wise.

The cruise itself, to the Norwegian Fjords, was wonderful and there was so much to see from our balcony. I took my camera and really enjoyed indulging in some landscape photography. I would do this route again as Norway and the Fjords are so beautiful.

There's one main thing I feel disappointed about with Britannia and that's the spa. On all three cruises I have booked and had a massage and all three times been left wishing I had not bothered. The spa unfortunately is all about the hard sell. My appointment this year and last year ran late but finished on time and there was about 15 minutes 'consultation' time, leaving only about 35 minutes for an actual massage (it should have been 50 minutes). I complained about this (and the pushiness to leave a tip) last year and the complaint was taken seriously. Sadly the standard of service has not changed. The staff are friendly and do give a good massage but I resent paying for a 'consultation' and the hard sell to push me to buy Elemis products. The therapist also started to offer advice on a medical condition I have and I did not feel this was appropriate. The waiting area is always very full and seems to resemble a doctor's waiting area rather than a spa relaxation area. It's such a shame as I feel P&O offers good value for money and there isn't too much hard sell on board. The Spa sadly lets the ship down.

Overall we still enjoy Britannia and we had a great holiday. I just wish someone would sort of the Spa!

cobrakatie's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Balcony F411

With two adults and two children (aged 3 and 1) we felt quite cramped this time in our balcony cabin with sofa bed. Our baby had a travel cot and our toddler was in the sofa bed. The sofa bed is put away during the day leaving more space to move around the cabin. Location wise, we were midship and this was perfect as we felt little movement. The bathrooms are small but very functional. There used to a great TV service with lots of modern films and TV series. This seems to have been changed to older films and a BBC HD channel- bit of a shame as this is not so good in my opinion.

Stavanger

I love Stavanger. So much interesting street art and quirky shops.

Flam

Not much in the way of shops or cafes but what a view! There's a wonderful playground with swings and slide overlooking the mountains which the children loved!

Olden

Beautiful Olden. If you don't take an excursion, it's worth taking the little train (parked just outside the ship) round the lake. It's not cheap (about £20 each), but you'll get some great photos.

Bergen

A great mix of fishing port, modern shops and a beautiful lake surrounded by art galleries. A great spot for a picnic if the weather is nice.

cobrakatie