3. National Geographic Explorer
How can you beat National Geographic? I had the best whale watching ever! A baby humpback headed towards our Zodiac and didn't dive under it until it was 20 feet away. I watched a leopard seal chase a penguin and both leaped out of the water onto a growler. Who has ever seen a leopard seal make it in one leap. Best of all, the penguin got away. The landing staff made sure we were in safe zones. Safety was a priority. I walked among the penguins, and they walked among us. The fledglings came right up to us, hoping to be fed. It was hard not to reach down and pick one up to take home. The land is starkly beautiful, as in an Ansel Adams photograph. Shear black mountains rose out of the sea. They were covered in ice caps, valley glaciers, and the ice flowed all around them and into the sea. It is a black and white continent, even the wild life. There is a loneliness to the land, a don't-leave-me-behind kind of loneliness. Above all, there is the ice; sea ice, land ice, glaciers, and icebergs - blue, white, and cold.

Great service, knowledgeable staff, and Antarctica is Ansel Adams beautiful.

National Geographic Explorer Cruise Review by rwhite4231