3. Nieuw Amsterdam
This was our 3rd Holland American cruise, the second on this ship. We upgraded to a Signature Suite (room 6063), and loved it. We'd had a Neptune Suite once before, and felt this was more than enough room for two. A big plus was the location on the ship. I hardly got lost, as it was very central. Embarkation was a breeze. We were group "A" to go on, and our room was ready. Our luggage was already in our room. No complaints with any of the ports. Out of 6 ports, we had only not been to 2 of them, so we were fine going off on our own and doing our own thing. We always take the 8 pm dinner and ask for a table of 6. We have never had a problem with our dinner mates, and this time, we had 4 wonderful people to sit with. We were almost the last table to leave the dining room each night, and I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. We truly enjoyed sitting down for a meal each night with these people and it really added to the enjoyment of our trip. While the food on board is very good, I think it may not be quite as good as other times. The hamburgers at the Dive In are EXCELLENT. Portion size isn't a problem. Had two visits to the Spa and thoroughly enjoyed each. I didn't get bombarded with sales pitches, which can be a problem in any spa. Only asked if I wanted to buy one product the one visit, nothing the first visit. We visited the casino a little too much, and had good and bad nights. That's to be expected, but overall, we didn't feel that we lost too much. My only complaint is the smoking in the casino. One person smoking can ruin it for many others. We left early many times over our 10 day cruise because of the smoking. Time for Holland America to say no smoking. The average age was a little older than other HA cruises we've been on, but we're retired so that wasn't a problem. We don't have children, so a cruise without many kids, for us, is a plus. I think I only saw two the whole cruise. One thing that Holland America excels at is their staff. Always a smile and polite word from each and every one of them. We had a fabulous time and next time we cruise, Holland America will certainly be the first cruise line we look at. We've become faithful to their brand.

January 2017 Southern Caribbean Cruise

CherryG’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam price drops

Signature Superior Verandah Suite
Cabin SS 6063
Excellent. Comfortable beds, lots of room, lots of storage space. Love the extra room on the balcony, and two sinks in the bathroom. Only problem was the first night the air conditioning was on high and they couldn't fix till next morning. I called and was told it wasn't just our room, but a section of rooms. They brought us blankets and everything was fine by the time we returned the next day from our first island visit. No problems with heat or cold the rest of the trip.
Upper Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins