3. Ovation of the Seas
Arrived in Singapore 2 days before the cruise with my wife and 3 year old daughter, Stayed at the Hotel Jen Orchardgateway, great location. We stayed in a Club Room for A$300 per night which gave us access to the Club lounge each day. I think this is also one of the only club lounges that allows children in after 6pm. Singapore was very hot, hotter than I expected even after growing up in Darwin, in fact the whole holiday was very hot and we have decided not to travel to Asia at this time of the year again. Arrived at Ship at 11:30am and bordered about 1:30pm, everyone seemed confused but eventually we got onboard. Our room was a balcony suite 10116 on deck 10. We met up with our friends at the pool bar for some drinks before heading down to their Grand Loft Suite for a sail away party with Champagne and canapés, courtesy of Royal Caribbean. I pre booked every restaurant, show and activity weeks before the cruise so didnt have to worry about booking anything on board. Having our friends in the Grand Loft Suite had its advantages. We were sort of attached to they're booking which allowed us to eat in the Coastal Kitchen with them (Restaurant for Suite Guests). We were first for Disembarkation at each port including Tianjin which took 20mins from Lounge to our private mini van. You could feel the knives in your back as you pushed passed passengers who had been lined up for hours to leave the ship at the various ports of call particularly South Korea, where some people say it took 4 hours to get off and some giving up and staying on board. We also managed to get reserved seating at all the shows so arrived at theatre 2 mins before shows started. A big thank you to our friends butler Genie who looked after us and made our cruise so enjoyable. She got a nice tip & gift at the end of the cruise. We pre booked internet for two devices so we could stay in touch using Facebook messenger for calls. I did pay for the onboard app to stay in contact and make calls but it failed after the first day and we were refunded the cost so stuck with Facebook which worked just as well, made it very easy to keep track of each other on such a large ship. We also had 2 x Premium drink packages which was great. I guess the beauty of pre booking and pre paying for everything up front there wouldn't be a large surprise bill at the end. You could check your online account anytime on your television. The free app was good for keeping track of your bookings for each day so you knew where you were eating and at what time, this also included any onboard activities. Food was fantastic throughout the cruise and couldn't complain about anything. Chops Restaurant (My favourite) dry aged steak (Extra $19) was one of the best steaks I've eaten. Chefs Table was excellent with a great food, company and a large variety of wines. Wonderland was an adventure and we were very full when we finished. Izumi's was good but didn't realise you are charged for this restaurant as it depends on what you order, and cant be pre charged. The Noodle Bar on the pool deck was way too hot as its all enclosed and there was no breeze, try eating a spicy noodle soup in what feels like a sauna, you also had to pay to eat here. I dont understand why the whole lower pool deck is enclosed in glass which made even lying on a deck chair in the shade extremely uncomfortable in the heat, without any breeze at all. I thought kids club looked a little dark and gloomy I dont know why they dont have big windows to let in the natural light like at the Seaplex entertainment area. My daughter was hard to drop off on the few times she went but always said she had a good time after we picked her up. She was vey upset when she was told she was too young for the dodgem cars (must be 5 years or older) but was allowed to skydive (Which she did) go figure? Also she was too short by a few centimetres to go on the children's slides in the kids pool area. Hardly ate at Wind Jammers perhaps a breakfast or two no lunches or dinners, so cant really comment on the range or quality. We booked 4 days of Tours with China Highlights. They picked us up from the Ship and we drove for 3.5 hours to the Summer Palace, followed with lunch at a nice restaurant, then dropped at hotel about 3pm. to do what we wanted each afternoon. Much the same schedule each day with a drop off at the Airport on the last day at 10:30pm. Couldn't fault this company at all. All in all it was a great way to be introduced to cruising, and am already looking at Sydney to Singapore in March 2018 on the same ship, I might have to book a suite as I think I we've been spoilt now and enjoyed all the benefits they came with. Cruise never felt over crowded, and It didnt feel like we were moving 99% of the time it was very stable.

Singapore to China