3. Norwegian Sun
This is my second, and most likely last NCL cruise. The first was the Pride of America in Hawaii. It was fantastic. I can't say enough good stuff about it. This Alaska cruise, completely opposite. I have been on 4 Caribbean cruises with Carnival and will go again in January. We, 3 adults ages from 45 to 65, took the land and sea tour. Land tour gets all stars. Sea, not so much. It started when we walked on board to an awful turpitine smell. Then the worst sewage smell on desk 6. It was awful and lingered the whole trip. The chemical scents started to invade the different deck levels. It was either the chemical smell or the sewage smell. I'm so happy we had a balcony, we kept the door open as much as possible. The service in the dining rooms were awful. Super slow, like they were all in training. They were all nice, professional and polite. But service was slow. Then the lack of communication; that was the killer. First, there was no announcement made of the Sitka/Skagway switch. The front desk thought there was and told me to read my welcome letter. I gave her my welcome package and politely asked her to show me the letter. It was t there. She said it should be. It wasn't. The lady next to me very loudly and sternly said she didn't receive one either. Most of the line behind us do don't either. The front desk was confused. We did receive refunds on our excursions. Second, the miscommunication on what is needed to ship a package back home. For 3 days my mind ther received at least 5 different answers. Short of it, fill out a customs form and let the dock purser know to let the customs agent at the port know about the package. This was not told to us by NCL, but by a customs agent in Ketchican. It doesn't take much to tick my mother off. This whole package thing was my nightmare. Third, not my issue, but another guest. She had to get off the ship at Ketchican and leave for the lower 48. She and her parents were told several different things by several different people. They also had to keep retelling what they just told someone else over and over. She did make off ok, but only after 3-4 days of confusion. This cruise was just "off".

Disappointing Alaska Cruise

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by CraftySabine

• Sail Date: July 2016
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Then the lack of communication; that was the killer.

This cruise was just "off".
CraftySabine’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Balcony
Cabin BC 9065
Cabin was great. I choose it to be near the aft stairway. 2 floors down, took us to the theater and shopping, 2 floors up tot the Garden Cafe and Sports bar. It was way too cold to swim, though a brave few did. The location was perfect. And not too much noise.
Pool Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins