3. Carnival Triumph
We chose this cruise because it was a way to have some time together as a couple prior to Christmas. The itinerary took us to Progreso, Mexico and to Cozumel. This was our second time on Triumph. We enjoyed the ship, the friendly staff, and the activities. The shows were Christmas themed, and were well done. The ship was decorated for the Christmas holiday with wreaths and garland. The gulf waters were rougher than we expected because a storm had blown through just as we were leaving. Hence, the ship rocked back and forth for the first two days of travel. I took medicine and learned how to 'get my sea-legs.' The staff was helpful, carrying my tray on the Lido when I had a hard time walking steadily. After a while, we just got used to it. We met up with a facebook group to 'mingle' on the first afternoon. That was a nice way to start things off. It gave us a chance to get to know some people and compare notes on excursions. I was a bit disappointed because we were placed at a table for two in the Paris dining room. It was in a walkway area, and it felt awkward. We prefer to be seated with a group of people, even if we do not know them. I found out that you can request seating arrangements if you go down to the dining room and talk to the maitre de. Will try that next time. The dining room was not as inviting as on our previous cruise. Carnival has introduced a new menu called American Table. It should be called Bare Table because they have discontinued the tablecloths, even on elegant night. American table is all about things Americans are supposed to like---steak, potatoes, etc. However, we prefer the European style menus they had previously. We further request the return of the tablecloths. If I wanted to eat at Denny's, I would have stayed in Texas. We tried a wine package (3-bottle, premium). The selections were limited, but varied enough to meet our needs. The good thing about the wine is that they kept the leftover wine and had it waiting on our table the next evening, chilled and ready to pour. There is a basic and a deluxe wine package. You can save about 20% by purchasing this package prior to the cruise. The deluxe package has Zonin Prosecco, which, in my opinion, is better than champagne. Progreso was wonderful. We went to a beach hotel with a buffet and open bar. It was very nice. The bus ride took 35 minutes, but the time flew by due to the entertaining stories and lessons given by Alejandro Fitzmaurice Laviada, our tour guide. On the return bus ride, several people vomited because of the choppy ocean effect combined with too much tequila. Cozumel was excellent. We purchased a non-Carnival excursion to Nachi Cocom for $55.00 apiece. They had a clean pool, great beachfront, and plenty to drink with poolside/beachside service. The food was very good. There were six cruise ships in port that day, but even so, there was plenty of taxi service available. Our favorite activities on board were the hot tub, comedy club, and the casino. I coaxed my wife to gamble bit. We decided that on our next cruise we will ask for the 8:15 PM dining slot since there are fewer kids and less rush in the dining rooms at that time. The shows have multiple times, so you have to work your MDR time around that as well. Overall, I think Carnival does a great job with their cruises, and we will continue to stay with them. Dining room, bar, and stateroom service were excellent.

December Cruise to Progreso and Cozumel, MX

Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by angoracruiser

Dining room, bar, and stateroom service were excellent.
angoracruiser’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Triumph price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8D 6128
Cabin was clean and well maintained. We found that the balcony needed to be cleaned, so we worked at it with a wet rag to get the salt spray off. Everything else was perfect.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins