3. Magellan
This was our first cruise with CMV and it will be our last. We took a gamble on a guaranteed window cabin for a three day cruise to Amsterdam and Antwerp. The cabin assigned to us was right at the stern of the vessel with a picture window looking aft. The first problems started at lifeboat drill. Every lifejacket assigned to the cabins has the cabin number and lifeboat number on it. When we arrived at the designated muster area, we were shunted backwards and forwards in order to go to the correct place – The lifeboat number on our lifejacket was wrong. After the usual checking names and putting on the lifejackets they then separated the men from the women. Sorry, in an emergency situation I do not want to be separated from my partner, and I am sure most others do not either. CMV, you are 100 years out of date! After the lifeboat drill we reported the miss-labelling of the lifejackets to our steward, to which he replied he had reported it on the last cruise and nothing has been done! Our cabin was very small for a double. It only had one bedside light, so we suspect it was a single in which they squeezed a double bed. We had the noise from the mooring winches directly above us every time we arrived and departed a port and of course some engine noise. But we knew we made a last minute booking and accepted we got a poor cabin. We were late arriving at Amsterdam so the departure time was put back two hours. However in order to reach Antwerp on time this meant the ship had to steam full speed to make up time. When we got into bed that night the vibration from the propellers was so great that our bed was shaking two inches every second. We tried, but it was impossible to sleep. So at 1am I went down to reception and asked for another cabin. The receptionist said she would see what she could do. But she did nothing, so half an hour later I went back. She offered a pair of earplugs, I demanded another cabin and eventually we were given one. Alleluia, it was quiet, vibration free, had a queen size bed with space around it and two bedside lights. However we did notice the cabin had a strong smell of cigarette smoke the next day, but by then we were on our way home. We found it very strange that in three days, the captain only made one announcement at 8pm on the last night to tell us the latitude and longitude, distance steamed etc and weather. A factual announcement that did not mean much to most people. A plus point, disembarkation was swift.

Shameful

Magellan Cruise Review by martinad

This was our first cruise with CMV and it will be our last.

A plus point, disembarkation was swift.
martinad’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

Picture window at stern. A double bed squeezed into a single cabin. Noisy from mooring winches above and propellers below. Watch out for vibration when vessel at full speed.

Avoid.