3. Magellan
What a disaster, my husband booked as a surprise through groupon who had a deal, buy one get one free. 2 days after taking his money, sending a receipt and a confirmation email with sailing details and giving me the gift, groupon sent him an email saying that the shipping company had overbooked so cancelled our booking. He contacted them explaining it was a surprise gift etc, they refused to do anything to help. They said they had availability on other dates but he would have to pay full price as the offer doesn't apply and there were no offers expected to be available any time soon, as he had given me the gift he decided he would book directly with them. He had booked in our married name, as we are newly married I had not changed the name on my passport, he contacted customer services. If you think Ryanair are bad these guys steal the show, they wanted £92 to change the name of my ticket to my maiden name. After some discussion they eventually agreed to charge "only £50", of course we had to pay this or not sail, within 5 minuets they emailed the new ticket through. Not a bad wage, £10 a minuet. A big attraction of this ship was it has 3 jacuzzi's and 2 swimming pools, unfortunately the first 2 days the hot tubs were out of order, day 3 one hot tub was working and a ship full of people wanting a turn. Both pools were appalling, they water was filthy and freezing, not one person on the ship would brave a swim. Day one we docked in Amsterdam, because of technical difficulties (they couldn't fit the ramp from ship to shore) we were not able to leave the boat until 11.45am instead of 9am. Corridors and stairwells were packed, people were getting irate and there was very little information being shared with passengers. Many excursions were cancelled, as a "means of compensation" everyone was offered either a glass of wine or a soft drink .... Staff were not unpleasant, however, many were Inexperienced and all were exhausted and clearly unhappy. Entertainment was the worst you could imagine with the exception of a very talented violinist. Photos were constantly being taken and sold for £10 each photo The assistant captain failed to make dinner appointment without any reasons given to his guests, this left his guests very disappointed as much effort is made to sit at 'Captains Table'. The food at dinner was generally reasonable though no food was available in the evening as advertised and seating was chaotic. Breakfast was not great at all though plenty of it. As soon as you finished your meal, or nearly finished on occasions, the waiters would snatch your plate away. My husband had been served his pudding as I was being served my main on one occasion. An elderly couple went on an excursion, they were 3 minuets late returning back to their coach and were left stranded in the pouring rain, they had to get a taxi back to the ship. There were several hen and stag groups, we felt the evening disco was like a singles club. We found that we paid double and sometimes 3 times more than any other passenger we met, of the many people we met we spoke to only one who said they would maybe give this company another chance.

Tilbury to Amsterdam and Antwerp