Viking Prestige Cruise Review

Birthday and Retirement Cruise

Viking Prestige Cruise Review by BarbEVJ

• Sail Date: May 2015
  • Destination: Europe River

My friend choose the Danube Waltz cruise for her birthday/retirement. We both had wanted to try a Viking cruise but I would never have chosen this trip and am very happy she did. I learned a lot about these countries, especially with the 3 day Prague and 2 day Budapest extensions. We spent here rather than upgraded cabin, and glad we did. Day tours were excellent, being organized and with guides knowing well English and their tour area. So much history and wonderful architecture! Everything was well organized and all Viking personnel were polite and helpful. Meal service excellent. Plates looked lovely. Do agree with another reviewer that it is not for vegetarians. In general, I found vegetables, except for potatoes and sauerkraut, to be scarce in these countries. On ship, salad was an option for lunch and I took advantage of it. I enjoyed all the meals.

Lovely cruise, though too much rain on our trip, allowing only 2 days of top deck time and a lot of umbrella time on city tours. Thoroughly enjoyed our trip.Viking is a class act. Also appreciated that our air and ground transportation were included with out Viking package.

BarbEVJ's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Standard 108

Loved the half round shower stall for ease of entry and movement. Enough room in cabin to be comfortable and large window to allow views a couple feet above the Danube....which was moving fast!

Old Town Tour

Nice to have the tour to see some highlights and then be able to find way around on own free time. Raining and umbrellas made it a bit challenging. Love having the headsets on all the tours.

View All 70 Old Town Tour Reviews
Melk Abbey

Raining again. Tour was interesting, though no highlights for me beyond seeing the buildings and garden. Would have liked to walk in the village but my feet were killing me after all those cobblestones and walking in Prague.

View All 182 Melk Abbey Reviews
City Tour

Raining again. Great to see the city highlights. Wonderful architecture and interesting history. Love those headsets!

View All 169 City Tour Reviews
Danube Valley

Cruise on the Danube through this lovely country. Loved the terraced wine country hills and the little town of Durstein.

View All 5 Danube Valley Reviews
City Tour

3 days in Prague before getting the ship in Passau. Worth the time. Great organization. Took city tour, Terezin tour, and Folklore dinner. Enjoyed all. Terezin and museum were my first experiences of concentration camps and history beyond my own reading and school. Having time to wander around the city was nice. Great hotel location in the Old Town.

View All 28 City Tour Reviews
Schonbrunn Palace

enjoyed palace and gardens. I would have enjoyed at least another hour to be able to spend some time in the gardens after the indoor tour.

View All 179 Schonbrunn Palace Reviews
Bratislava

Raining again. city tour by bus and palace gave sense of the city. Feet too tired to walk back to ship and have some city time on my own.

Budapest

Raining again. Got to see the city through the rain covered bus windows.

The Castle District

Raining off and on. Lots of red umbrellas. Good tour. Did more of this area on our own with the Hop-On Hop-Off bus the next day, which was NOT rainy, so saw more clearly the landscape from the open air deck. ALso visited liberty hill..which no one talked about on the city tour. Due to religious holidays we were not able to do synagogue and other museums. Did do the underground hospital. Very well done and amazing.

View All 70 The Castle District Reviews

Enjoyed the genuine Budapest spa with all its many pools both indoors and out, saunas,etc

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Durnstein (Krems)

really enjoyed time to stroll through this little town to see the shops and vineyards. Off and on again rain....again.

St. Stephen's Cathedral

Beautiful church! Enjoyed the noontime organ concert.

View All 112 St. Stephen's Cathedral Reviews
Passau

Enjoyed walking the narrow lanes of the town, learning about the 3 rivers, and seeing the flood level marks on the town hall.

BarbEVJ