3. American Queen
OK, just recently returned from a weeklong cruise aboard the American Queen (Memphis to New Orleans), and wanted to give a detailed review for others who might be considering a riverboat cruise too. As a first-timer (I've never been on any other cruises before, neither ocean nor river), all I can say is: wow, I'm hooked! We're already planning another trip ASAP! I'm SO glad we chose the American Queen too. We met another group of four travelers aboard the Queen who were originally traveling on the American Eagle (another, smaller boat also traveling down the Mississippi) and they actually took all of their bags, left the Eagle, and booked a room on the American Queen mid-journey at one of the ports. I don't blame them! Everything they told us about the Eagle sounded horrible—paper plates in the dining room, no evening entertainment, average age of guests was like 80+ years old… I'm so glad we chose the American Queen for our trip. As for our trip, I don't even know where to begin—we were blown away by everything! The boat was absolutely beautiful, the crew was incredibly friendly and accommodating, the dining and entertainment were excellent. The whole trip was so enjoyable, we really had no complaints. Really, the only problem we had the entire week was some confusion at our initial hotel in Memphis (the Downtown Sheraton) due to the hotel staff. We ended up taking a taxi to the boat rather than the free AQ shuttle bus (the cost was only about $10 for the taxi and the pursers on board the AQ actually credited the amount back to our account, which was very nice of them). Other than the hotel confusion, the rest of the trip was smooth-sailing (no pun intended)! All of the ports and included shore excursions were nice. We made use of the free AQ bikes at most of ports, but one thing that was really nice about the hop on/hop off tours was that you can download a free American Queen app to your phone that shows a map of each port, including live tracking of all the AQ shuttle buses. You could literally see where all the buses were along the routes in live time, and how soon they would arrive. It was really great, very convenient. I also want to mention some of the crew who went above and beyond and made our trip extra special: our room attendant Adam (he's the best!), Cassandra, Jada, and Mr. Galphyn in the dining room, everyone at the pursers desk, Pam in the front porch cafe, and Captain Brent (who was kind enough to give us a tour of the pilot house). Everyone was so nice, but those particular crew members really went above and beyond so I wanted to mention them by name. I could go on and on about what a great time we had—the incredible detail and design of the boat, the great staff, and seriously some of the best coffee I've ever had, no exaggeration. But I'll just wrap it up by saying to anyone considering a riverboat cruise: I highly recommend the American Queen. Wow!

First-timer: Wow! Going again ASAP.

American Queen Cruise Review by RyanS