Magellan Cruise Review

Never say never again!

Magellan Cruise Review by agathachristiefan

• Sail Date: Apr 2015
  • Destination: the British Isles & Western Europe

As the eternal optimist, there were so many negative reviews about Magellan, that even I was getting downhearted. As usual I should have trusted my own instincts. I cruised on Discovery last summer enjoying it thoroughly, so booked Magellan when it came online. Boarding at Dundee, I arrived at the appointed time and was on the boat in less than 10 minutes. My cabin was huge, nice big shower with piping hot water and comfy bed. The only niggle with my cabin was (and I think all ships are the same) the hair dryer was rubbish and the plug slightly too far from the mirror, so there were some contortions going on.

Food - I was pleasantly surprised, much better than I expected for the very reasonable price, and seemed to get even better towards the end of the week, but I quickly learned to eat in the main dining rooms as the Raffles Buffet was a complete free for all and rarely could you get a seat in it. The ship has an unusual layout with the galley in the middle meaning that you sometimes had to go up a floor and down a floor to get to where you wish, but you are on holiday, how quickly to you need to get anywhere? Cabaret is not my thing, I have never enjoyed it. Friends dragged me to the ABBA night, but as ever I just find it really cheesy - the quizzes were quite fun, the speaker good and I went on some great excursions. Richard did some Victoria Wood Songs and that was fantastic - laughed till I cried.

The weather was good and scenery fabulous. I think cruise and maritime are still feeling their way with this new to them ship, at times there seemed to be a lot of staff hanging about doing nothing, then at the busy times,in the bars before meals - one or two people would be going like the clappers, perhaps they will sort out some of the niggles as she is now in dry dock for 45 days - I am back on board in August sailing to the Baltic, will report again then.

agathachristiefan's Full Rating Summary