• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Umemori
First Time Cruiser • Age 40s

Sail Date: Mar 2015
Cabin: Obstructed Oceanview

Cruise Critic has been such a helper to prepare for our first trip - we read 300+ reviews and tips and came back from the cruise today happy and fulfilled!

The roll call is the must - we felt connected even before the trip. Tim and Debbie were such nice hosts and arranged a very nice meet and greet on the first sea day. Cruise critic is influential - The senior officers showed up for us and gave us a nice intro and a card of all their contact information. I told Gary, the manager of guest service, about my experience with his staff and feedback. He took notes and the next day we got a plate of chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room as his appreciation. Tim and Debbie and quite a few members opened up their staterooms for the cabin crawling - it was so fun and I can see the jealousy eyes from other guests! We visited several inside cabins (many personalization ideas), ocean view, balcony, mini suite and a suite. WOW! I know what I want for the next cruise.

Free style and unlimited beverage package are king! As first-time cruiser, My husband and I were not sure what to expect. Free style is a relief for him and UBP gave us the reason to explore and hang out. NCL Jewel does have a nice crew. Our waitress Reubenlene at the Tsar dinning room has been so helpful and taken good care of us every dinner. I am also impressed by the Hotel Director Steven - the best example of walking management I have ever seen. He is EVERYWHERE! At 8am he might walk by the pool and later on greet you at the breakfast buffet. When you come back from excursion he is the washy washy person at the security. You see him constantly at the hallway of every deck. Of course on the welcome and farewell shows you see him and his staff. He personally read every guest comment card and recognizes his team - Reubenlene showed me a photo of her being recognized by him last time!

Obstructed Oceanview

Cabin OX

Old but very cleana bit noisy during the nights and the afternoon at Banana Coast (machine/construction -type sound, not human voices)Plenty of storage space for two of usThe rubber portion near the window is loose and somewhat worn.Nice surprise about the ocean view window is that my husband saw a huge sting ray surfaced, chasing for something during one of the sea days...very cool!

Port Reviews

Banana Coast (Trujillo)

Lifeboats were used for tendering - quite an experience for us first time cruisers. Very new port of call, still under construction - we see some potential and want to visit it again in 3-5 years and observe how it evolves.Very hot that day - we were only there in the morning (nice walk on the beach and gift shop visiting) and decided to go back to the ship for lunch.Similar to many reviews, we enjoyed the people and environment there. It is not very commercialized and the merchants are very friendly there. You can get bottle water and coconut water in much more decent price than in other ports.

previous reviewnext review