3. Carnival Dream
To all cruise enthusiasts, My wife and I decided to take a cruise with our kids and grandkids this year with great expectations of a good time. Our itinerary included ports of call at Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and retuning to New Orleans. Discounting the Ebola screening at the New Orleans port I would have to rate the trip as less than stellar. On the day that we arrived, the transfer to our hotel in New Orleans was not there as witnessed by a car rental agency rep at baggage claim. We had to track down the service that was supposed to be there to get us to our hotel. Once we got to the Marriot we had an enjoyable night. New Orleans is quite an interesting city. I am from Las Vegas (a city known as sin city). New Orleans runs a close second. We stepped out to eat dinner and a wedding was coming down the street escorted by police. The next day it was time to embark the Carnival Dream and start the cruise. Embarking was a nightmare. Most of the problem rests in the fact that all the transport coaches arrived at the port all at the same time. As everyone had to fill out an Ebola questionnaire and go through customs, this created a three hour bottle neck to get through. There wasn't one person I talked to that thought that was to be expected. Once on board, we had the usual safety drill and departed. The first thing Carnival does is try to sell you a sort of all-inclusive drink plan that is advertised on the website for about $35 a day. You are not able to sign up for this online (so said the website). So, once on board the price is about $50 a day. Strike one. That night I lodged a complaint about the transfer service that they used. I stated that the contracted services are the first face of Carnival that the customer sees and can set the tone for the rest of the trip. Carnival's response was to close ranks around their transfer service. Strike two. The first port of call was Montego Bay, Jamaica. We took a side trip to swim with the dolphins. This was an absolute blast. The highlight of the dolphin excursion was being pulled through the water by the dolphin. All the people we encountered on island were very friendly. The guides were wonderful. They gave some history about the island, explained what some of the local lingo meant, and were quite entertaining. Later we spent some time shopping and at the beach. The second port of call was Grand Cayman. Our second excursion was submarine ride to see some of the sea life. I prefer scuba diving, but, my wife...not so much. At any rate we had a good time and the grandkids enjoyed it. The water is very clear there if you haven't been. About the, 3rd day out, the room steward came to straighten and clean the cabin. During the course of doing so managed to engage one of my wife's tops in the vacuum cleaner and ruined the top in the process. Do you think the room steward would leave an apologetic note? Wouldn't even think of it. Seems to be in keeping with closing ranks around the vendor. Strike three. The third port of call was Cozumel. We didn't have any side trips planned here...so we wondered on our own. We ended up stopping at a little bar on the beach for lunch. We met a couple there a talked for a while. They were traveling on Royal Caribbean. They essentially said to try RC and that you would not be sorry. While on the ship my wife and I had a couples massage. The massage itself was good. However, there is an assessment consultation after that follows in which some of the more private details would best be handled in private rather than with both customers and operators present. On one the last days of the cruise we asked that someone take a look at the heat being supplied to the cabin because it was cold even after using all the blankets. We returned after maintenance had been there only to find the cabin twice as cold. Strike four. Another thing to know before you go...if you decide to go Carnival, don't expect to find edible food anywhere if you skip the formal nights. There are a lot of good people that were working on the cruise. We had a waitress that liked to flirt with our son-in-law harmlessly. Some of the bartenders were interesting to talk to as well. This is my 4th cruise and have never had this amount of problem on a cruise ever. I won't be returning to this cruise line again. They just can't seem to get it right no matter what. I will return to the places that we visited. In summary, Carnival is the best advertisement for Royal Caribbean, Holland America, or Princess that there is.

Accounting Manager