3. Carnival Fantasy
A friend of mine this week asked me to describe my cruise experience to him. I told him that it was like I had a hotel room attached to the Home Town Buffet. And if his dream was to live at the Home Town Buffet for a week, then going on a cruise was for him. However, I felt that it wasn't for me. Don't pay the money for "The Faster Way to Fun" as I did. You will have more fun buying 6 drinks on board or lighting your money on fire. It doesn't do anything to save you time at the Port of Charleston or getting on or off the ship while you are sailing. I was carted along with the rest of the herd at every port and stop and received no special privileges. Be aware also that it is going to take a really long time to get on the ship and off the ship. Be ready to wait in lines especially on the first and last day of your voyage, I waited over 2 hours to get on the ship and over an 1 1/2 to get off. During the port days it took a few minutes to get off and a little more to get back on. When getting back on the ship, my fellow passengers tended to be a little ruder and more boisterous then when they were getting off. One "lady" let out a huge fart and then belched for 20 seconds like a pig while standing in front of me to get on the elevator. At that point, I decided to take the steps instead of riding up with her. As a person in my 30's, I felt like the cruise was not aimed at my demographic. The cruise would have been better suited for someone my parents or grandparents age. They had: - Music Shows with canned music - Bingo - Sudoku Challenges - Hairy Chest Contest?? - Marriage Game Show - A Jewelry Shop full of gaudy pieces - A JcPenny type Portrait Studio spread-out all along the 9th deck - Home Town Buffet quality food The other adults on board outside of that "mature group" seemed to only be able to enjoy the trip if they had a never empty alcoholic beverage in hand.(Maybe that explains that one "lady" I met at the elevator.) At the Freeport stop, I witnessed one gentleman push his passed out wife onto the ship in a cart because she had had "too much fun" at the port bar. The entertainment that appealed to me was extremely crowded or ill placed: - Comedian (They were in a small conference room and every show was packed.) - Karaoke (No where to sit and standing room only) - Hot Tub (Only 4 on the ship) - Serenity Lounge (On the backend of the ship, so be prepared to be blown away) - Sitting Areas (Saggy furniture, next to the smoke areas, and always full) - Bistro and Small Taste Food Stops (Rarely Open) The buffet was pretty good. I would say on par with Ryans or Home Town Buffet. I liked the Pizza Pirate and ended up ordering a cheese pizza once a day for a lunch or dinner. The formal dining room experience was a little disappointing. It took over an hour and a half for my scheduled meal to be served and my food was luke warm. Also, I felt like the food was not very fresh For example, one morning I woke up at 530 AM and witnessed the cooks making pancakes for breakfast. But breakfast wasn't going to be served that day until 800 AM. Additionally, I was served food such as a piece of banana cream pie that was topped with completely brown banana slice as a garnish and a cream topping that was crusty. The furniture on the ship is crowded and many pieces need to be replaced. On the pool deck, the deck chairs were crammed together so that walkways around the deck were narrow and chairs were touching each other. Also every leather chair on the boat had permanent and deep butt marks on the cushions and the chase lounges were sagging. I went to the Virgin Islands several years ago and had so much fun. I expected that the Bahamas would be just as beautiful and enjoyable an experience. The fun was only to be found by paying extra upcharges. The ports and sites to be seen on your own were dirty and really only focused on gimmicky Bahama souvenirs and drinking. (The ports felt like they had seen their day about 30 or 40 years ago and were hanging on by a thread. This had to due with the large amount of empty stores, houses, and trash filling cans and thrown carelessly into parks and in front of government buildings.) Overall the cruise was ok. The room was nice. The comedians were funny. The food was a step up from McDonalds. I won't do it again, but if you would like to live in the Home Town Buffet for a week with a room from the Hampton Inn attached, then this cruise is for you.

Felt Like a Home Town Buffet attached to the Hampton Inn

- Marriage Game Show
- A Jewelry Shop full of gaudy pieces
- A JcPenny type Portrait Studio spread-out all along the 9th deck
- Home Town Buffet quality food
- Comedian (They were in a small conference room and every show was packed.)
- Karaoke (No where to sit and standing room only)
- Hot Tub (Only 4 on the ship)
- Serenity Lounge (On the backend of the ship, so be prepared to be blown away)
- Sitting Areas (Saggy furniture, next to the smoke areas, and always full)
- Bistro and Small Taste Food Stops (Rarely Open)
Midlands-Lady’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Fantasy price drops

Interior
Cabin 4I V8
The room was bigger than I expected. The bed was comfortable and I really thought the towel animals on my bed each night were adorable. The room was always straightened up when my husband and I returned from a stroll or meal. The down side of the room was that I could hear the people dropping weights and working out in the fitness room on the upper deck, and the TV in my cabin had blown-out spots on it along with a volume control that made some channels hard to hear.
Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins

• The Garden of the Groves
    At the Freeport stop, I paid $50 to go the botanical gardens. If I had not paid to see the gardens, I would have been stuck at a port surrounded by a wire fence that consisted of a bar, several souvenir shacks, and a few hot dog stands that served island food. The gardens had 3 man made waterfalls, a little more exciting than what you see in your neighborhood at home. It had a concrete mural maze. The gardens also had a small 30 people size chapel and several beautiful trees and plants reminiscent of the Angel Tree in Charleston. Lastly, the gardens had a few souvenir shops and a small lunch café next to the pond and waterfalls.
    View All 18 The Garden of the Groves Reviews
  • Nassau
    At Nassau I did not pay an upcharge, and was stuck using the map the ship crew handed me when I came off the ship. Beyond the street names, it provided little guidance. I stumbled upon the Queens Staircase and a few other sites. The staircase was like something out of the movies with all its color, the rock walls, waterfall, and long stairs. It was my favorite site. I also went into the castle above the staircase, which was very lame but only cost a dollar to see. It is a ship shaped fortress which consists of a wall with three cannon balls, and a higher deck where you can look out over the island. It also had a tour guide who seemed to be on auto pilot. (The guy was mumbling the same lines over and over to each tourist without making eye contact or actually paying attention to see if anyone was listening.) I went to the Athena Café for lunch and had a delicious Crack Conch dish while my husband had a Chicken Slovaki wrap. (Be warned that gratuity is already added into your bill. We ended up paying that twice.) After that I went to Bahama Hand Prints, which had some creative cotton print fabric which was a little pricey but as an avid crafty person, a fun find. For dinner I went to the Pop Deck which had been recommended by several locals, The seafood was fresh and service was outstanding. However, I came across several people from my ship on my way back who had spent the day wandering around the port for several hours and were unable to find the sites etc they had heard about when booking the cruise. One couple commented that they had tried to book 2 different excursions but both had been canceled due to lack of interest by other passengers. After getting back on the boat, I discovered that most cruise passengers pay over $120 a person to go to the resort Atlantis when in Nassau.
    View All 5,989 Nassau Cruise Port Reviews