• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

bdjtbenson
2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Mar 2014
Cabin:

Carnival Dream was okay.  Meals were okay. Breakfasts were normally made to order omelets and they were good. Lunches were from the buffet (one brunch at the main dining room), decent food and choices. The brunch was fine but not worth taking a long time in the dining room to eat.

Dinners were just okay, not bad but nothing really worth writing home about either. My biggest complaint with dinners was that I went by myself and that really seemed to disorient the staff. The first night I was placed, by myself, at a table for seven. A waiter came and took the seat next to me for another table. I ordered and was through my appetizer before four more people were seated with me - awkward. Another night, I waited more than an hour for a table (your time dining) and was then seated by myself at a table for two. For some reason the waiters decided I was on the same schedule as a table of six next to me (who were seated after me). Our first appetizer came at the same time but they each ordered three appetizers and I sat waiting for dinner while they ate their second and third appetizers. When my dinner finally came, I ate a bit and left - very disappointing experience. I considered adjusting the tip downward for the restaurants because of the two disappointing dinners, the first time I've considered adjusting a tip downward - ultimately I left it the way it was.

Entertainment was standard cruise stuff. I watched bits of some shows but didn't sit through an entire show. Not bad but far from thrilling. Music around the ship was mostly top 40 elevator music, no real talent on display - like the shows, it's what you expect. I enjoyed the comedy club and the karaoke to live music the best of the choices. I tried one water slide and was pleasantly surprised - mostly sat by the pool on sea days or went to beaches on shore days. I can see how some would consider the ship boring.

My room was fine (outside view near front on main deck), noise wasn't bad and decent size, amenities, closets, bed. The service for the room was fine. I asked for ice and it wasn't delivered the first time - after that it was consistently waiting for me. Other than that minor complaint, I was pleased with the steward and her team.

Port Reviews

Nassau

Took a cab to Cabbage Beach and back. Like four years ago, the waves were pretty big. The beach has nice sand but it's a long walk to the nearest toilet. There are vendors wandering around offering various stuff and a handful of tables set up selling all-you-can-drink rum-punch.

St. Thomas

Took a taxi to Sapphire Beach for some snorkeling. Snorkeling was decent at Sapphire. It got better as I got deeper but I could also feel a tug from the current. Since I wasn't familiar with the area, I went in instead of exploring further.I had some good bar-b-que from a truck called "Off the Grid". They offer a variety of sandwiches or all-you-can-eat for a couple of dollars more. I went with the latter so I could try all their different meats: ribs, brisket, pulled pork, and chicken. They're worth a try if you're in the area. They sell out of a truck on the main road above Sapphire Beach until they sell-out for the day.I had planned to take a taxi from there to Coki beach later to meet some friends from another ship. The taxi never came back for me because I was only one person and it's a short trip. The bus that runs around the island only runs one-way, so would have had to circle the entire island to get back to Coki. I ended up just taking the bus back to the port and got back on the ship.Generally, St. Thomas is overdeveloped and not very nice. The beaches are fine but, because of the development, it's not easy to find a more private setting without going to St. John's (which I'll probably plan on next time).

St. Maarten

Taxied to Orient Beach. The taxi system was about as organized as it can be.When we arrived at Orient, we were immediately greeted by someone offering chairs, umbrellas, WiFi, and two drinks for $10. She was also very attentive to getting a taxi back to port when we were ready.The nude beach down from where we sat was interesting. More nude people with remarkably great tans than I would have expected. Don't get too excited, however, the average age is pretty much the same as a transatlantic cruise.

Find a Carnival Dream Cruise from $359