3. Grandeur of the Seas
My wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary aboard the Grandeur. We had a great time from start to finish. There is always something to do, or not, depending on your mood. Embarkation was a breeze. We arrived in Baltimore about 9:30, went right through the initial check in, waited in a seating area inside terminal till about 10:30 and were on board by 11:00. An announcement was made that cabins were available at 1:00 but we waited another 15-20 minutes just to be sure. Our cabin was outside deck 3 so we had a window. The bed was comfortable, temperature was easy to regulate, plenty of storage (and we brought a lot), the shower was always hot with good pressure, cabin steward (Elvin) was there when we needed him and invisible when we didn't. We ate breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer and were always pleased with the quality and selection. All dinners but one were in the MDR. Our servers, Joao and Tomislav, were excellent. The food was really good. I wouldn't call it excellent every time but it was always very good. We're not "foodies", as they say, but over the course of 10 days they fed us a lot of different dishes and we were always pleased. If you don't like something just order something else. I ordered multiple courses several times and we always ordered three desserts to share. Our servers encouraged us to order multiple courses. The entertainment was really good. Our favorite was the Argentine Tango show followed by the magician. Our least favorite were the comedians, two of which poked fun at race, age, nationality, etc. That's not funny to me. A different demographic would probably love it. The Locomotion band played every day for the first five days and played upbeat pop type dance music. The Evergreen Trio was billed as Ballroom music but played a lot of ballads. My wife and I enjoy dancing and could dance to most of Locomotion but very few songs by the Evergreen Trio. We took the dance lessons from Ken and Merrily. They are a sweet retired couple and did a great job teaching the classes. We only took one excursion. We snorkeled at Trunk Bay in St. Thomas on our honeymoon and wanted to do that again on our 25th anniversary. It was exactly as I remember it, although 25 yrs does blur the memory a little. We had a beach day on Labadee- a real tropical paradise. One of the larger ships was there at the same time but the food service was great, restrooms were clean and accessible, walkways were concrete and convenient. WEAR WATER SHOES IF YOU PLAN TO SWIM!! There are a lot of rocks in the surf. Walking around Old San Juan and St. Maarten was a treat also. I used the gym facilities several times over the 10 days. Early in the morning its is busy. I didn't have to wait for machines or weights later in the morning (after 9:00). I bought the "All you can drink soda package". I stressed over whether it would be a good deal or not but it was. I filled the cup 4-5 times per day. There are only three Coke Freestyle machines on board but the bars will fill your cup also. It was a great vacation for us. Some negatives have been written about this ship but oftentimes life is what you make it. Go expecting to enjoy yourselves, pray for serenity to accept the things you cannot change, and have a blast! We did.

Great Anniversary Vacation!