Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Ernie B

Cabin Category: D1
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
        13-15 5+

So much to do - a floating resort plus!
Booked through our travel agent and did all the paperwork easily online, including reservations and waivers for activities. Stayed overnight before cruise in Hollywood and arrived to port via hotel shuttle about 1:30 when boarding was scheduled to begin. Many people had arrived as early as 11:00. Embarkation was rather easy and we went through the total process in probably 20 minutes. Given our Seapass cards that acted as credit card, room key and identification for everything.

We went straight to our room on Deck 10. Room 1402 is considered a "whale-tale" room at the back of the ship. We feel that it was the best room we have ever had on a cruise ship. Almost a suite, wider to fit the sofa bed with a king bed and huge balcony. Since I hate crowds, it was a perfect place for me to hide and enjoy the water and the sunsets/sunrises. We actually had room for two chaises, two chairs and a small table! Incredible! The room was immaculate and the bathroom actually felt like a normal size room with a decent shower. Our room attendant was wonderful. Debra was very pleasant and introduced herself right away and was always smiling and asking if everything was in order. We loved her "towel animals" she left for us - absolutely adorable and surprising. Our luggage didn't arrive until dinner time but since we opted for My Time Dining, it wasn't really a bother.

After the first day, we hardly ever saw our 13-year-old son. He participated in so many activities with the teen groups and then made numerous friends in his age group. He took the Flow Rider classes and the instructors were great. He loved the Flow Rider and did it every day after that. He also loved the rock climbing wall, ice skating, and well, all the teen activities and supervisors! Since this cruise was his choice, he couldn't have had a better time. He actually had wished it had been a full seven day cruise as he didn't want to leave his new friends.

The shows are definitely not to be missed. They are Vegas/Broadway caliber and quite entertaining. There were many lounge musicians and singers scattered throughout the ship, too. Very good. And the Promenade is a marvel in itself! I enjoyed watching the young children's faces as they watched the parades and participated in the character meet and greets. There were also "spontaneous" mobs of dancing along the promenade in the afternoons. It was so neat to see everyone just stop what they were doing to view the dancers. There are several nice shops and eateries, too with a variety of snacks. Our son loved Sorrentos and the Cupcake place was always crowded and the classes were always full. We loved the wine bar "Vintages" and sampled many new wines by choosing the size of pour you desired. Neat!

The dining room (Botecelli) was nice and the food very good considering the size of ship. We ate there every night and did not try the specialty restaurants although we heard people rave about Chops. You could order a certain item in the main dining room off the Chops menu for a price, but we always found something on the regular menu that we enjoyed, including lobster. We found the Windjammer Cafe/Jade sufficient for lunch and breakfast. There was enough of a variety to try something new every day so we found it good. The views are very nice from the cafe with plenty of seating and many hours of availability. They had one late night buffet on the pool deck with barbeque delights and entertainment which was very good. We ate breakfast once in the Rembrandt dining room. It was good but the Windjammer was just as good taste wise, it is just that you could order a few different items not found in the cafe (like Huevos Rancheros while in Cozumel).

Bar drinks were good and average price for a cruise ship. They had the drink of the day specials that were always good. Our son had the soda package which really is a bargain if you are a soda drinker. The wines available at the bars were actually good. Water on the ship tasted good everywhere, even from the tap in your room. We didn't use room service although many people opted for that. There is a $3.95 charge only if after midnight. The casino was okay for my husband, although they were limited on table games and had more slots. He lost, of course and didn't care for the smoking allowed in the venue. There were many other activites like trivia, the marriage game, sexiest man contest, etc.. scattered around the ship and over the day. Always something to do in the day, and the lounges were open to the wee hours of the morning although we just peeked in.

The pool areas are very nice. The AquaZone for the younger set was very cute and was always filled with many, many kids and watchful parents. Lots of activities to keep them busy! The main pool was nice and adequate size and was always crowded as we had perfect weather. The jacuzzis were also packed, however! We tended to go to the adult pool area as it was quieter although we sometimes could not find a lounger. Then we ventured upstairs to the sunning decks and could always find something. The fitness center was very nice with many machines and free weights. Appropriate for the size of ship, I would say. The running track was nice but had to be used very early morning or in port due to the lounge chairs that were always blocking it.

The staff was very nice and we enjoyed the Liberty immensely. As I said earlier, I hate crowds, but I really didn't feel crowded or overwhelmed as I was afraid of before I went. We really didn't encounter any obnoxious behavior from any of the passengers which was nice being Spring Break time and all. We did feel however, that we weren't able to bond as closely to our dining room servers as much as we have in the past. This was due to the My Time Dining and being able to just walk in when we wanted. This was nice and flexible and I would do it again, but we just learned too late into the cruise (day 3) to just request the same table every time. We did that for our last two nights and enjoyed the company of our wait staff, Assun and Louis very much.

We did a shore excursion in Belize (Altun Ha) which was very good - the company that did our excursion was very good but it is a long day due to tendering which was very hectic. They could improve on that a bit. Cozumel was nice because you are docked. Even the crew said that was their favorite because of the ease and convenience of everything. My husband and son did the power snorkel tour and literally walked there from the dock. Our son absolutely loved it and wants a power snorkel gizmo for his own, now!

Debarkation was very simple and fast, also. We had a 8:00am departing time and they actually left the ship right on time. We breezed through customs and the whole process took about 15 minutes. We carried off two bags and sent two down the night before, finding them easily.

Overall, I have to say that the Liberty of the Seas is a very clean, fun, family oriented ship that is worth a look. I was very impressed even though I prefer the adult oriented smaller ships. I don't know if I would go as an adult vacation at my age, but the younger set and certainly the families will find it enjoyable. My son is already talking about next year!

Publication Date: 03/29/12