Thomson Dream Cruise Review by Stevespain: Fantastic Cruise

Fantastic Cruise

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Barbados

We sailed on the Dream 4th March 2012 for 1 week on Latin Gems. Me and my partner are 28/30 and my parents are 59/60. It was our first cruise and my parents had previously cruised with Celebrity.

Transfer from plane to ship was great, down steps of plane, onto coach, then taken straight to ship. Cases arrived a little later and were outside the cabin.

The ship itself is very nice. Although a bit old it is well looked after and maintained. Public areas were all in good condition and nicely decorated. Yes, it could do with an update in some of the public areas, but this really didn't affect our holiday.

Our cabin was an outside plus on deck 6. It was spacious with twin beds, small sofa and chair, coffee table and desk. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was small and at 6ft1 not too easy to shower but again, not a major issue. The bathroom was very clean, no smells and no problem with toilet. (I would like to note at this point that people have More complained about toilet issues on this ship, it clearly states on all toilets not to flush anything down but the loo roll provided, so I guess most problems that do arise are caused by guests not following these instructions!)

We ate breakfast in Sirens or the Lido, Lunch in the same and evening meals in the Orion. Breakfast and lunch were very good for buffets. Good selection of food which was served hot and it varied daily for lunch. The only negative would be that it often took a while to be served a drink at lunch time in the buffet restaurants. The Orion was fantastic, nice surroundings, excelent staff and very good food. We thoroughly enjoyed every evening in this restaurant. Also would like to comment that bottled water is on the table when you arrive, but if you ask ice cold tap water is provided, we did this first night and after that they knew us and it became automatic.

The entertainment was very good, we enjoyed a few shows in the theatre and also the guest comedian who was amazing. The entertainments team clearly put in a lot of effort and this shows. Incidentally my parents who previously cruised with Celebrity, said the entertainment on the Dream was far superior. There was also live music in the other bars which was enjoyable. During the day time quizes, bingo etc were on in some of the bars, not my cup of tea, but certainly not an issue as I just didn't go!!!

We did mainly Thomson shore excusions and found them all to be great. The one day we just disembarked and used a taxi, we didn't see half as much or really learn anything about the island like we had on the ships excursions. So whilst you can save money I would recommend Thomsons excursions. Will also add to be fair to the destination services team they will provide maps and info for those who wish to do it on their own instead of just pushing the excursions.

We had the AI drinks package, for us it was worth it as we like a drink. To give an idea if it is worth it for you, wine is 3,90 per glass, 15,00 per bottle. ½ pint beer 1,90, cocktails from 4,50 and spirits from 3,50 plus mixer. Tea/coffee and cold water is available all day from the lido restaurant.

Overall we had a fantastic cruise, staff, food, entertainment, ports of call all great. The bottom line is if you go on holiday to look for problems you will find them. Reviews were helpful to me before booking which is why I have tried to write a thorough review here. Hope it helps! Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Dream 6133

Spacious, quiet location, good storage.