Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by NateReagen: Norwegian Sky: The Real Scoop

Family & Children 2.0

Norwegian Sky: The Real Scoop

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Bahamas

There are SOOO many negative reviews we read before taking a 'work trip' on the Norwegian Sky; but the reality is somewhere in the middle (as always).

Rooms: The room did not smell, was very clean and was actually very quiet! Note, we were not by an elevator or by loud spring breakers - so we were lucky there. Had quiet nights of sleep every night. Comfortable enough bed (really people, it's fine) and prompt and courteous room service (extremely prompt and friendly I may add).

Food: The buffet food is definitely above average for buffet food (in the Garden and Outdoor Cafe's) and the sit-down 'free' dinners were actually quite amazing. I had the New York Strip steak which I've cooked often for myself and eaten often in restaurants and the steak I had on the Norwegian Sky was actually better. The third night the chicken was amazing as well. Not sure what people are complaining about as all meals were quite enjoyable. The only complaint I have was that all More the desserts were below average and there was no enjoyable chocolate in any form on the boat (I tried several varieties)

Service: Crew members are everywhere attending to your every need; the only unfortunate thing is that English can be a challenge for most of them if you have a question to ask.

The boat: Yes, I get it - the boat is a little outdated - but heck, many of the bars (6) and restaurants (5) are nicer than most of us would ever hang out in. Very clean, fairly high end - but NO, not comparable to what other cruisers have experienced in terms of modern decor. The entertainment was fun, but again - according to seasoned cruisers not the "best shows ever" kind of thing. But hey, look at the price and what do you expect? All alcohol was around $6-$7 but I'd recommend ordering mixed drinks; as they were STRONG.

The bad: We went in March; never again! The Spring Breakers ruled too much of the boat and were all getting intoxicated by early afternoon. It basically ruled out ever being by the pool anytime after noon and ruled out all dance floors as it just got out of hand most places. Secondly, the internet access is both a rip-off and a joke. It's .75 cents a minute for SLOW internet. Cost me about $10 each time to just read and write a couple of e-mails. Very frustrating.

Overall: Enjoyed the freestyle cruising, relieved we were with a group, avoided the spring break crowd as best we could and had a great week. Were pleasantly surprised but would compare to others on price/value next time! Less

Published 03/11/12

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: OI Mid-Ship Oceanview Porthole Window

No complaints on the port; was run like an airport.
Read 464 Miami Reviews