Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by Ray Singleton: Super Jade

Super Jade

Sail Date: August 2010
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

Before travelling with NCL for the first time, I checked the reviews on the Norwegian Jade which left me somewhat apprehensive in view of the negative comments from several people. Of course everyone has the right to their opinion and I respect that, however I get the feeling that some folk must be ver, very hard to please.

My wife and myself found the whole cruise experience 1st class. We particularly enjoyed the 'freestyle' dining experience and we was more than happy with the quality, variety and the amount of food available to us. In addition there are several speciality restaurants which you can you use for an added premium. We used Cagney's steakhouse which was absolutely superb, that cost 25 dollars each but well worth it.

We also had a balcony cabin for the first time and that will be the way to go in future. The cabin was spacious, set up for 4 people but there was only the two of us. The balcony was great and afforded great views. The bathroom was fine and More had a walk in shower offering loads of room. Admitted the toilet was a little compact, but who spends all their time in the smallest room.

If I had one minor complaint it would be about some of the entertainment, I have experienced better on other cruises except for the 'Elements Show', by contrast, this was the best I have ever seen on a cruise ship, very much 'Circus Soleil', superb. We also thought the daytime activities lacked a little in imagination. Having said that, the staff were brilliant, the amenities great so I would give it 5 out of 5. Less

Read more Norwegian Jade cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jade Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jade Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 8 9062

Our balcony cabin was first class and the best we have experienced on all of our cruises. The balcony afforded great views, plenty of room for the 2 of use and great to leave the large sliding glass doors open at night and sample the fresh air, great for helping to sleep to. The bathroom was roomy and included a walk in shower which had loads of space. I guess you would call the toilet area compact. Not a problem to us though, after all, how much time do you spend in there. Our cabin was situated forward of midships. It was very quiet, no noise from the bars or ships engines, in fact very tranquil

We docked in Piraeus which is a suburb of Athens. As we had visited Athens in the past we decided not to use ships tours but instead stayed in Piraeus and did a small tour using the local road train which was quite enjoyable. Worth knowing that within a 5 minute walk from the ship, there is a hop on hop off tour bus to Athens which pulls in many of the sights, including the Acropolis. This was not made known to us by the Ships staff which I think is a bit naughty. It costs 24 Euros each but is a whole lot cheaper than the ships tours.

This is a nice compact port. We accessed by tender and docked virtually at the old town. We did not use ships tours but did our own thing which is easy to do at this port. Lots of old buildings, some still showing the scars of the not to distant conflict. Lots of shops and cafes to visit if you are so minded and also a walk along the city walls, which carries a small charge. Need to remember, they do not accept Euros, only local currency or credit cards.

This is the third largest city in Turkey and obviously very bustling, beware of the traffic if you do your own thing. Several trips available including the usual Roman ruins plus a visit to the Virgin Mary's House. Once again we did our own thing and booked a taxi outside the port for 50 euros for a 2 hour tour and the English speaking taxi driver doubled up as a tour guide, good value and very enjoyable, although it does involve the obligatory visit to a carpet/leather shop. The trip also included a bazaar, absolutely massive and a real insight into Turkish life, dont forget also that bartering for goods is also a Turkish custom

Read 153 Izmir Reviews

What can you say about Venice which has not already been said. Absolutely brilliant, very compact but lots to see. We bought a 16 Euro, 24 hour ticket which entitled us to travel on the local service canal boats and service buses, exceptional value. You can tour the canals at will and is a welcome break to the lots of walking you will do there. Of course there are the Gondolas and specific boat tours, but they are quite expensive so I guess you pays the money and takes your choice.

There are some great eating places but as per usual you will pay more at the main tourist spots, eg St Marks Square.

Read 509 Venice Reviews