Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Ally'sMom: Handicap Accessibility on Carnival Dream

Ally'sMom
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Handicap Accessibility on Carnival Dream

Sail Date: July 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We sailed on the Carnival Dream July 2-9. We were celebrating my husband's 40th birthday, so in addition to myself, my husband, and our 7 year old daughter, our party also included my father-in-law ans some family friends (husband, wife, 2 teenage sons). It was mine and my husband's 4th cruise and our daughter's 1st. We have only sailed Carnival-Jubilee, Paradise, and Glory. My daughter and I shared a balcony cabin #6208 and my husband and his dad shared a balcony cabin 2 doors down #6212. I use a walker and wheelchair, so I needed a handicapped accessible cabin. 6208 is the first cabin on the floor (farthest forward on that deck) and had many good features.

To begin with, the key card slot automatically opened the door and there was also a switch inside the room to open the door. My only complaint was that the switch was not labeled and it took about 2 days before I realized this. The cabin was large and the doorway was a little larger than the regular cabins (as I realized More when trying to fit my walker through my husband's door) and there was no step into the bathroom or out onto the balcony. On the issue of the balcony, though, the outer wall was at least 4 feet high and solid metal. I don't know if this was due to the cabin being in the front of the ship or being handicap accessible. It was okay for me, since I am able to stand on my own, but if you were completely wheelchair bound, the balcony would be useless. Another nice feature of this room (again if you are ambulatory) is that there is a door right outside leading to a secluded area in the front of the ship. This is where we hung out as we left port to start our cruise and it was a great hidden treat! There were lots of grab bars in the shower, as well as a fold down shower chair, but the downside was the grated drains in the floor that made a lot of noise and gave off REALLY bad sewage smells at times. Luckily, this smell wasn't all the time as it could have caused a big problem.

The ship itself is very nice and elegantly decorated. Our daughter loved to ride in the glass elevators, but the elevators took a long time and there were not enough for a ship of this size. For those of us who did not have the option to use the stairs at times, the wait for elevators seemed interminable. We were even late to dinner a couple of times because we were waiting for one that was going down.

Our daughter loved the waterslides and kid's water play area, and she had a great time at Camp Carnival. It was very secure and well staffed. I liked that there were so many guidelines for keeping the kids safe, and the sheer number of activities could keep anyone busy! She loved the Fun Force dance team and was in their final show. We also took advantage of their babysitting services, and it was well worth the small cost. She got a stuffed animal, backpack, book, pencils, and more. And her favorite part was that we had to pass the ice cream machine when we left there each night!

All in all, I would highly recommend this cruise, but I would definitely say that if you are handicapped in any way, please let them know because they will make considerations to help you. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Upper 6208

I have been to Nassau before and don't really care for it, so I just stayed on the ship and visited the spa.

Read 2629 Nassau Reviews

We took a water taxi over to the beach, and it was a great experience. The drivers were friendly and helpful with my walker. As soon as we got off the taxi, we met a guy who rented us beach chairs, and even though he was in it for the money, he was very helpful and gave us his full attention. The beach here is beautiful, and I got a great margarita from a local bar, but the locals who roam the beach offering towels, massages, hair braiding, etc. are very pushy and it's hard to relax when you are having to tell them "No, thanks" every couple of minutes.

This is a beautiful island. We have a guy we use for island tours when we are there and he takes us to Paradise Point and some of the other "regular" tourist destinations. I would move here if I could!

Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews