Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Killnme

Cruise Date: July 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 8E

40th birthday cruise
I want to start by saying cruises are made by the people taking them not by getting mad/upset at every little problem. With that being said my family and I had a great time. I cruised with my wife, daughter (7yr old), and dad. My wife and daughter shared a cabin (she has already wrote a review cabin 6208) and my dad and I shared a room.

Embarkation- Couldn't have been easier. From the time we pulled into drop off our bags to getting on the ship was all of 30 mins. We did show up at about 1 PM so most of the crowd was already on board. But Carnival really has this down even when dealing a wheelchair like we had too.

Cabin- I was in 6212. It was the 3rd cabin from the front on the port side. Great cabin with a great balcony. Enough space for my dad and I. You can probably fit 3 people in nicely, but I wouldn't go past that. Take a bungee cord with you so you get keep the balcony door open. Our room steward was Jose and he rocked always there when we needed him and he was very polite. He never said no or wait which was nice. One little problem was we were at the front of the ship and our dining room (Scarlett) was in the back of the ship. This was a problem because the front elevators couldn't get you to the back dining on the 3rd floor. So we would have to go to the back of the ship on deck 6 wait forever for an elevator and go down to the 3rd floor.

Nassau- We have been to Nassau 3 times before so my wife stayed on the ship for a massage. My dad and I took my daughter to the straw market for a little while. After that she went to Camp Carnival and my dad and I went back to Senor Frogs. Even if you don't drink Senor Frogs is a great place to people watch.

St. Thomas- We had a private tour of the island with Sean Connor. We have used him before and he is great. He will work the tour anyway you want to. He took us to great locations for pictures and shopping and didn't pressure us time wise. I have his card with his information if you want it feel free to email me. Just put in the title of the email St. Thomas tour info.

St. Maarten- We just took the water taxi over the the beach and got chairs with umbrellas (2 chairs with an umbrella 15 bucks all day). We got 4 chairs. We had a great time and my daughter was in the ocean for all day. We order beer and food and it was delivered straight to us. The only problem was all the people trying to sell something to you. Very nice beach, but next time we will probably try another beach.

Dinner and food- We had the early seating (6pm) which worked well for us. By the time we were done our daughter was ready to get to Camp Carnival (she enjoyed it more at night then day). All the dinner food was great and you could get as much as you wanted. Your child can ask for a kid's menu. Adults can even order off of it if you want. One of our friends would order the kid's ice cream sundae. We even ate most breakfast in the dinning room because you could get done quick and didn't have to wait in line. Lunch did take forever in the dining room for some reason so we stop going for lunch. We ate in the Chef's Steakhouse one night and the food was very good. Except which ever way you like your steak cooked go up one. For example, I like my steak medium what I got would be considered medium-rare at most steak places, but I still ate it because it was really good.

Ship and Shows- The ship is a good ship. I always saw someone cleaning. I did smell the mystery smell, but only when we were in port. We made it to one dance show (Dream street or something like that) which was good, but about 20 min to long for me. Some of the moves they did were really amazing (make sure you stay for the Rocket song). The comedy shows were good except for the emcee (she is not good). We spent a lot of time in the Sam's Piano Bar. If Milburn Dumas is playing he is great and gets everyone involved. Request some Meatloaf songs for Willis (that was a nickname he gave me for some reason) b/c he promised he would learn some. I stayed out of the casino just b/c with my bad luck catching an elevator I knew I would lose a lot of money in it. My wife took quarters to play the slots, but the slots she found only took dollars even if you wanted to play a quarter a time. So that was her sign not to play.

Camp Carnival and Kid Stuff- Our daughter enjoyed CC when she went. During the day it seemed really low key. They will take your child to eat lunch and dinner in a blocked off area, so if your child doesn't like the dining room food this could be an option. She really enjoyed the evening programs. The night owl program was neat and she thought she was hot stuff staying up way past her bedtime. The babysitting service was great for us. The ship also has a "water park" area which she loved and she got me on the slides so they were really fun.

That was the good here is the bad. This ship is to big for how many elevators it has. During embarkation they have the back elevators shut down b/c of luggage. There was such a long line for elevators when we first got on I left my dad and wife (who uses a walker b/c of balance issues)in line and my daughter and I ran up the stairs to the 6th floor to drop stuff off in the room. A lot of people will just get on and ride the elevator any direction just to get on one. But if this is the only bad your vacation can't be ruined.

Disembarkation- We were zone 11 we were off the ship by 8:20 and on the road with luggage by 9:00 it was great. I hope you cruise is as good as ours.

Publication Date: 07/17/11