Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by keithm

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: keithm
Cruise Date: November 2010
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: Q6
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

Nov.27th Cunard Caribbean
We did the Nov.27 Caribbean "Delights" cruise.We got down quite early, so check in was a snap. We did a "Queens Grill" suite, so we had priority boarding. Being that we arrived before 11:30, there was small lines even for general boarding. It's a good idea to get there pretty early. as the line really grows after about 1PM. After about a half hour wait in the lounge,not a real pleasant place to wait(at least in the Brooklyn terminal!)we got on board. When in the Grills, you get lunch in the restaurant, otherwise you go to Kings Court.

The cruise was pretty smooth. The food was totally outstanding. Yes, I just weighed myself..yup gone up 10lb. Do plan some real dieting for a while. We had a "butler" named Lily(from Romania)Her service was outstanding. Never intrusive. She got me Caviar for canapes every day. Whereas some folks on the site complained about butler service, Lilly was exceptional! She well earned her tip!. I feel that if you are very polite & not demanding(as some are!)The butler can be a real asset. My new "Orvis" vest popped a button the first time I wore it(before the wait gain LOL!)Lilly had it taken care of immediately. They do offer "pack & unpack" services, but I don't really want that. I'm sure the butler would rather not do it, either. We like "discreet" service, not endenturement.

The food in Queens Grill is outstanding! Definitely don't be afraid to go "off menu" We ordered Foie Gras & Sweet breads. Always give a days notice if you want something special. I had them do a "Scotch Egg"( a real British standard)Surprisingly they really didn't know exactly how to do it. I gave them pointers. The egg arrived for lunch the next day. Well it was nearly the size of an Ostrich egg! Tasted great, but I had to tell them that the layer of Irish sausage surrounding the egg should be less than a quarter inch, not a full inch.Tasted fine,but was a bit too much to eat.

The entertainment was good except "Viva Italian", which was really hokey.

Met some fine folk from the roll call for that trip. "JimsGirl" was a real fine lady. She reminded me a dit of an elder version of Mrs. Doubtfire. CasinoPlayer was frequently in the casino. Nice guy. Much more unassuming than others may have felt. His writing style(which some don't care for)is a result of his writing in a larger font for a friend who had eye surgery & needed to read larger type. He liked the style & stuck with it.Met Cpn(not sure of his real moniker)and his lovely wife Alta(they sat behind us in the Queens Grill).

Many others I would like to have met(yes, I wore my derby on formal nights)but the ship is so large you really can get swallowed up in it. Our next possible voyage may be on the Queen Victoria, as there are no QM2 voyages to the Caribbean area next fall(except the holiday cruise)The QM2 goes into dry dock for some well needed maintenance. Quite a bit of carpeting needs replacement in well traveled areas..such as near the lifts. Flat screen tv's & bedding were being replaced while we were on board.Our next voyage looks likely to be Jan.2012. Look forwards to roll-call at that time.

Publication Date: 12/10/10