Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by dcDallas: Magnificent Service and Experience - Ship a bit odd

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) 4
dcDallas
Member Since 2010

Overall Member Rating

Magnificent Service and Experience - Ship a bit odd

Sail Date: November 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Our first time on the QM2. Boarding was easy and the room was great. Our cabin steward and waiters were absolutely perfect...fun, gracious, and skilled.

Elegant decor at every corner of the boat.

We enjoyed the formal/semi formal requirements for dinner each evening. As with most ships these days, however, no one questions the folks arriving in jeans and golf shirts on formal nights. Unfortunate.

For all her beauty, this ship is oddly constructed. It is apparent that the large sections did not fit exactly together in the shipyard. There are many "humps" in the floor where large sections of the ship join. There are also many holes in the floor under the carpet that you actually step into when walking around the ship. Non of this spoiled the experience. It was actually quite interesting.

As with many ships these days, QM2 offers a one time charge for unlimited soft drinks. Ideal for those of us who consume too many. And as usual, when you present this More card for a soft drink the bartenders immediately change from friendly to surly. Some began to recognize me and would begin scowling before I arrived at the bar. I commented, jokingly, to the female bartender in the Commadore Club that I must be "predictable" as I ordered a Diet Coke. Her response was an agry YES as she dropped the class on the bar turning away. I really don't get this attitude. It is as if they are all trained to react this way.

The Canyon Ranch Spa is extremely nice and relaxing after a long day.

All in all - the waiters and other staff more than made up for the angry bartenders. You will love the QM2 Less

Published 12/02/10

Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X