Carnival Dream Cruise Review by llewet: Carnival Not So Dreamy

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Not So Dreamy

Sail Date: July 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My wife and I travelled with 3 other couples. We have been cruising since 1998. We have cruised on Royal Caribbean and Carnival before. We prefer Royal Caribbean. We chose the Carnival Dream for 2 reasons; size of the ship and itinerary. The cruise had 4 ports of call, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya. We had previously been to Cozumel but the others were new to us.

The Ship The Carnival Dream is the largest ship that we have ever sailed. Needless to say our expectations were pretty high. The ship was nice but did not have the "wow' factor that I was looking for. At any rate, I was disappointed with the layout of the ship. The main pool deck was divided into 3 separate decks. This made seating and spacing limited. There were a couple of functions (lasers shows and buffets) on the main deck where all of the passengers were encouraged to attend but there was not enough room to accommodate all of us. The jogging/walking track went around the over-sized miniature golf More course and an engine room. It would have been nicer to have it go around the main pool area.

Since we have been cruising, we have graduated from cabins with small port holes to ocean view cabins to balconies. The cabin was nice. My wife and friends said the cabin was larger that the other ships we have traveled. I didn't notice the difference. I did notice that there we more children on this cruise. Regardless of the sign on the balcony doors, most guest, especially the kids, let the doors slam shut and you could hear them from 3 cabins up or down the hall and on the decks above.

The adult only section (Serenity) is on the front of the ship; right next to the children's water play area and the water slides. It kinda defeats the purpose of the adult only section. On a more positive note, Serenity was a nice experience once you went past the kids. They also offer a light assortment of food for lunch so you don't have to walk down 2 decks and to the middle of the ship to go back to the buffet.

Entertainment The main theater was small, especially for the largest ship in the fleet. The entertainment was just OK (I don't have high expectations for cruise ship entertainment). My wife is particularly critical of the singing. The male lead singer was very good; the female hit a couple of clunkers. The dancers were good but I was a little concerned with the break dancers. Although they were very good, I thought I was thrown back to the 80's. There was another singer right outside of the main theater in the lobby. She was average at best.

I thought the comedians were very good and it was a nice touch to have a separate club for them.

Although I did not go into the adult night club, I was told that the DJ changed the music when the younger crowd came in the club.

There were 2 separate clubs for kids (11-13 and 15-17 years old). I think this was unnecessary.

Customer Service The customer service was not that good. Compare to other cruises on both cruise lines, this was probably the worse. We had a cabin with balcony. I observed several room stewards washing the glass on the balcony as well as the glass on the door and window of the cabin. I don't think any of our exterior glass was ever cleaned.

Some of the staff did not understand English. Even when you walked through the halls or saw some of the staff on the elevators, they did not always greet you or at least say hello. Except for the casino staff. They always smile when the take your money :)

Food OK. On to more important things, EATING!!!! The food in the main dining room was very good. Even for lunch. Yudi, our waiter gave very good service. The deli was very good and very convenient between the break between lunch and dinner in the "Gathering" the main buffet. I enjoyed the wraps especially. Speaking of the Gathering, the food was pretty good. The fried chicken didn't stand a chance. The burrito bar was nice. The oriental wok buffet was excellent, even though the line was often long. I was not a big fan of the Italian restaurant. Everything was dry. Its upstairs from the main buffet. Very easy to miss. 24 hour pizza and ice cream is always nice. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Verandah 8401

Plenty of closet space, hallway too noisy, across from crew space, can hear all balcony doors within a 3 cabin radius. Room attendant did not clean balcony glass.

I was some what disappointed with Belize. We have seen many stories on the travel channel about Belize and it's beautiful beaches. But we did not see any. We were told that they were about 40 minutes away. Many of the beaches were only accessible by boat.

Our usual routine is to hire a taxi to take us on a tour and maybe drop us off at the beach. One challenge was the 20 minute tender ride from the ship to the harbor. Nonetheless, we were able to hire a great driver named Raymond. He had a nice minivan with good air conditioning. He was very knowledgeable about Belize and it's history. He also took us to a nice store that had very reasonable prices for souvenirs.

Overall, I would like to return to Belize to see more of it.

Costa May was nice. Not much to see. The beach was very nice and a must for us since it was our last port of call. The water was clear and warm. There were plenty of activities (jet skis, banana boats, etc). The locals were somewhat bothersome. But after you tell them no a few times they leave you alone. The biggest down fall was that we had to leave at 3:00 EST; 1:00 locally. I don't think I need to see Costa May again but ot was nice to visit.

This was our second visit to Cozumel. Although we did not go to the beach on this cruise, the beaches are very nice. We have never seen the ancient ruins but I hear they are very nice. T-shirts are also very reasonable. I also purchase a very nice gold cross for my chain.

Read 3137 Cozumel Reviews

Roatan was interesting. Due to some high winds, we had to dock on the other side of the island. We hired a taxi and the 8 of us took a tour of the island. There wasn't a lot to see, but what we saw was nice. Although we did not stay at the beach, there were 2 that looked very nice. The one beach was on a one lane road that was very congested. The other beach was large and pretty. I don't think I need to return to see anything else.

Read 1660 Roatan Reviews