Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Virgin Cruiser 46: Cruisin on a Dream

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Cruisin on a Dream

Sail Date: July 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

OK, so this was our first cruise. I had read many reviews previous to cruising and I was a little nervous about all the negative comments I had read. I have to say, either I am extremely easy to please or there are a lot of negative people out there. Granted, this was our first cruise, so we had nothing to compare to, but we thought this cruise was amazing.

First of all, we never smelled that yucky smell everyone complains about. I caught a slightly "off" scent a few times, barely, but not enough to complain about. This was something that really worried me too, but it turned out to be fine. I didn't hear one single complaint about a smell on the cruise.

Guest that have complained about a lack of pool space are right though. There are not enough water areas for everyone to enjoy, and it gets so hot out in the Caribbean. But overall it was fine and no problem.

Here is a quick overview of the pros and cons of our trip, and some tips to consider. More

Pros: 1. Carnival Dream had an amazing, hardworking, and courteous crew. Everyone single person said hello, no matter how busy they were. They worked hard, around the clock, to make sure our vacation was perfect. I have never seen such hardworking people in my life. 2. I loved meeting people from all over the world. 96 countries were represented on our cruise. This included crew and cruisers. 3. There are plenty of chairs and spaces to sit all over the ship.There is always a place to go, even quiet little spaces to get away in. 4. The staterooms are plenty big enough and always clean. I felt like if I left my room for a few minutes, I would always come back to it cleaned up. 5. The food was endless and amazing! The waitstaff was top notch! We loved our waiters, Russell and Success. They made our evening dinners perfect! I have never seen such an array of foods in my life. You could eat yourself into oblivion (and we did). 6. The ports were fun and we loved our excursions (snorkeling Shipwreck Cove and the Skyride on St. Thomas and the Dutch/French tour with beach break combo on St. Maarten). We felt safe on our trips and loved them. But be careful with that "free rum punch." It will creep up on you and you won't be able to get back to the ship unless you stumble there. That happened to my husband! 7. The ship was clean and spacious and gorgeous. It took my breath away! 8. Loved all the ship activities and shopping extravaganzas, like BINGO, etc. My daughter won $1,500 on the lotto card game.We also loved the ship shopping sales. 9. You HAVE to see Dancing in the Street show! Amazing Broadway style show with tops singers and dancers. In fact, we liked all the shows we saw! Legends on the final night was great! Cons: 1. Needs a bit more pool space/water areas. The pools are small. 2. Be careful with taxi drivers on the islands. Our experiences were fine, but a couple we knew paid a driver to take them to a particular area, but he took their money and did not take them there. Just be careful. Most are legit though. We met a few really nice taxi drivers. The excursions that Carnival recommends are safe and wonderful. 3. If you are not careful, you could end up spending a lot of extra, unnecessary money on things you don't need like alcohol, soda, games, etc. You can get by fine on water and juice that is provided for free. We spent a lot of money on alcohol and BINGO, but it was also fun. Just be careful. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Main

We did not have an excursion planned here. We asked for a recommended beach and were told to go to Cabbage Beach, which is right by Atlantis. We took a taxi there ($4 per person one way) and walked around Atlantis. Then we walked over to Cabbage Beach. For $50 we got 4 beach chairs and 2 umbrellas. It was a lot of money, but cheaper than an excursion. For another $20 we got a coconut filled with unlimited juice all day and a small bottle of rum to add to it. The water was not to be believed, it was so crystal clear and warm. We did a banana boat ride, but you have to be careful because some of these operators are unregulated. They can be talked down in price a lot too!

A warning...people like to steal shoes here. My silly Old Navy flipflops were stolen and I had to buy new flipflops in Nassau. So hide your belongings and watch them carefully. I figure anyone who stole my $2.50 dirty flipflops needed them more than I did.

Read 2631 Nassau Reviews

We took a bus tour of St. Maarten. It took us to the French side of St. Martin to start with. I was surprised at how poor many people seemed to be. They all seemed desperate to sell us something at the shopping booths. There were many cheap trinkets to buy and we were there for about an hour. It was very hot, but it was nice to experience the culture. The tour director explained everything to us about St. Maarten and we learned so much. He then drove us to Orient Beach. If you get the chance to go there, DO IT! It was stunning! There is food, shopping, and the most gorgeous beach ever. The water is perfection. Be careful though; the waves can get high and there are no lifeguards. But oh, how beautiful it was. After we left Orient, we went back to the Dutch side of the island. Walk down to Front Street and shop and eat at Chez Delphine. It's this little island, beach cafe with brightly colored tables, American style food, and nice service. It's just so cute, and there are little lizards/geckos running around in the sand. I loved it there. Visit the Candy Store right next door. The Candy Man is awesome!

We rented a cab and went to a local beach by the Marriott. I forgot what it was called...maybe Morningstar Beach. But you can't really walk there; you need to take a cab. Ours was expensive at $6 a person, but it got us there. We spent a half day at the beach there, which was nice. For $10 we got 2 beach chairs. At 1:00 we had a snorkeling excursion booked through the ship. The excursion took us out to an old shipwreck near a bird sanctuary island. It was an amazing excursion. We saw tropical fish and brightly colored coral. We sailed back on the catamarran nice and slow and they served us free rum punch. Look out for it though. It will get you drunk quickly if you are not careful. My husband kept drinking it (and they kept filling his cup) and when he went to stand up at the end, he could barely walk.

From there, even with my husband in the state he was in, we walked over to the St. Thomas Skyride, which is right in town. We took it to the top of the mountain and had the most glorious view of St. Thomas. It was expensive, but worth it. It's very hot up there though.

Read 2326 St. Thomas Reviews