Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by GOLFER1234

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by GOLFER1234
Liberty of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Member Name: GOLFER1234
Cruise Date: August 2014
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
See More About: Liberty of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+

VERY NICE CRUISE

We just returned from a wonderful 7 night cruise of the Eastern Mediterranean on the Liberty. The highlights are as follows:

1. Embarkation- A+..a breeze!! We arrived at the port around 11:30 am and found only 6 other people checking in. We were on the boat in 10 minutes. Rome is the best port to leave from since only 800 or so guests board in Rome.

2. Food- B..Obviously the food isn't what you would find in a nice restaurant in my home city of Boston but I have to say that my entire party of 20 people enjoyed it very much. If you don't like an entree the staff is very accommodating to get you another one. I can recommend the lamb chops and shrimp dishes. The desserts were very very good, especially the creme brûlée. WIndjammer is what it is...buffet cafeteria food that isn't that all that bad. We ate twice in Portofino's and found that it was excellent! Food was very, very good and well worth the cover charge. (Tip..the days that tourists board, ie: in Rome and Barcelona, RC discounts the price by 20 percent in Portofino and Chops.) Hats off to Alexander who served us the first night. He is a very wonderful and polite young man and RC should be very proud of him. Vincenzo, the manager was very accommodating and fit 12 of us in at last minute notice.

3. Shows- We tried to catch a show every night but at this point I can't remember them all. The ones I remember with ratings are as follows: Saturday Night Fever - A. Magician A. Ice Show B. Sinatra type impersonator B. Acrobat show A. All in all the shows were a hit with all of us.

4. Cabin 8256, a balcony cabin, was perfect for 2 adults. It was large enough to accommodate all of our clothes and incidentals. It was nice and close to the elevators and very quiet. The bathroom could have been a bit larger but for the amount of time we were in the cabin it was quite nice.

5. Excursions- we took only one RC excursion which was in Marseilles. It was ok but please listen and book the excursions on your own. You EASILY save 70 percent from what you pay through he cruise line. For example, we arrived in Rome 4 days prior to departure and the 20 of us paid $1200 euros a day for the use of phenomenal drivers with 3 Mercedes vans. That, of course, breaks down to 60 euro a person for 8 hours of personalized touring in Rome. Check out what RC charges for a day in Rome!

If anyone needs recommendations for experienced professional private guides in Rome, Naples, Barcelona and France ports let me know and I will be more than happy to give you the names of the companies that we used. I promise you that you will not be disappointed and will easily save hundreds and hundreds of dollars on excursions.

6. Ship- A+ , clean, new and in great condition.

7. Staff- A . The staff was really great. Our cabin attendant, Paulo, was very nice and was always there to tidy up the cabin my wife and I were staying in along with our children's Promenade interior cabin. The dining staff and other staff we encountered were all very pleasant and welcoming to all.

I feel compelled to point out one thing that I really irritated me. One morning I felt like a traditional "American" iced coffee and walked into the coffee shop on the promenade and saw some small, 12 oz paper cups that were a bit small to make my coffee in. Looking around I then saw large 16 or 18 oz cups that I needed behind the counter so I asked the young lady server if I could have one and she said that she couldn't give one to me since they were "counted". I told her that the small cups weren't large enough for my needs but she insisted that she couldn't give me one. Anyway, after 2 minutes of asking she finally indulged and handed me one. Why in the world would RC establish a policy of allowing me to use and waste as many small cups as I want instead of giving me a larger cup? Foolish indeed and I felt bad for the young lady who was obviously directed by someone to not give out the larger cups. Dumb, RC, dumb. I am paid $8000 for a cruise and couldn't have a large paper cup? Come on! (Ok, I'm done)

All in all this was a great vacation that gave us a taste of some of the major ports in the Mediterranean and one that I recommend.

I am going to end this now but if you'd like to contact me email me at glen1234@aol.com

Publication Date: 08/18/14