Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by kphillipsBristol: Cannot fault the service and the food.

kphillipsBristol
Member Since 2014

Family & Children 3.0
Service Not Rated

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Cannot fault the service and the food.

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Dinning - We eat in the main dinning room 4 times and the Windjammer 3 times, after long days of sightseeing. The service in the dinning room was excellent, we did the My Time Dinning which I booked before we left and worked out really well, as we had the same waiters and table each night.

However we were a little disappointed at the standard of dress that was allowed in the dinning room. As this was first cruise I had done a lot of research about dress codes on the different ships and was amazed as to what standards were allowed. On the formal evening, myself and daughter wore formal evening dress and my husband a dinner suit, however on arrival there must have been only 5 other families dressed up. It didn't bother me however my husband deal feel well over dressed.

I contacted the RCI beforehand as we have a number of dietary requirements, I am a vegetarian and my husband is Celiac and lactose intolerant, and was informed to ensure that we spoke with the Maitre D. More We did this on the first night, who explained all about the menus and the facilities in Windjammer. we had no problem in the dinning room as all menus were marked much to allergies and the waiters were very helpful if anything needed to be added or replaced on the items.

I did hear a few comments about some food not being as hot as it should, however we did not have a problem.

The Windjammer (self service) was brilliant, there were every kind of food there to suit all different tastes. They can also help if you have different allergies to ensure no cross contamination. As you enter all food areas, they have hand sanitizers, and they have staff positioned there to ensure they get used. There was on particular lady in the day time that was so jovial about the 'wishy washy hands please'. she always made us smile.

We made the mistake of buying a coffee on the first day, as we were not aware of the self service tea/coffee making facilities. All of the cafe's have these so you can help yourself to tea/coffee/green tea/earl grey and sometimes hot chocolate, at any time of the day.

I did pay for the drinks package for my daughter which she loved as every night she had a non alcoholic cocktail with her dinner, and during the day round the pool and unlimited soft drinks. (however you can help yourself to basis drinks and water in the windjammer all day)

Cabins - There were 3 of us in a standard interior room, yes they are quite small, however we did not spend that much time in the room. My biggest compliment was the dressing table area. I have stayed in many hotels, and most do not have decent lighting and plug socket next to a mirror. RCI was just perfect, this area must have been designed by a female.

All the cabin staff that we came across were very helpful and we have a number of lovely towel creations each night.

Entertainment - We saw 2 shows, Saturday night fever and Air, both were of a very high standard and we very much enjoyed them. I did book for the ice show on line before we left, however the night we booked it for there was not a production so we missed the show. We also watched 3 films on the open air cinema at night which was a lovely way to end a busy day.

I did take part in a couple of line dancing and salsa classes, which I really enjoyed. On the one day at sea there was entertainment all day around the pool, this was fantastic and was very entertaining. We would have liked a bit more of this on the other days, as not everyone gets off the ship.

Spa and Fitness - I used the gym 4 times over the week and also used the running track, this needs to be used either early in the morning or later at night as this area does get very busy and people tend to walk all over the place or just stop which interrupts your flow. We were amazed with the gym facilities, and all the equipment. I did do 1 yoga class that I had to pay $14 for which I thought was a bit steep for mins.

Kids Club - As expected there was a high proportion of children on the ship which is what you would expect from a family cruise. Some are more well behaved than others. Our daughter did not use the teenage club or activities.

Shore excursions - We did not use any of the RCI trips. I arranged through All Around Italy for 2 private tours for Florence and Piza and for Rome. There were superb, cannot fault them in anyway, and would recommend them to all. These private tours worked out less than the on mass tours organized by the ship, and we got to see far more and had a local guide with brilliant knowledge.

Service - we cannot fault any staff member that we came across, there were a few who really stood out and went that extra mile.

Value for Money - When we were planning this trip I looked at a number of different options, and after comparing different cruises, all inclusive, we decided on RCI which I believe really good value.

Embarkation and Disembarkation - We booked our own flights through Easyjet, and used a company called Suntransfers to and from the Airport. Would certainly use them again, as we were met at the airport just through the gates, they took us directly to a waiting people carrier, this easily seats 6 but there was only 3 of us, They took us to the dock directly and helped us with the suit cases to the drop off zone. This could not have been easier, and better and quicker (and cheaper) than a cab or the bus transfers. After dropping the luggage we were taken directly to the check-in desk. This also was a very quick and easy process, and we were on the ship by 11 am to start having a good explore of the ship before it got busy.

On the morning of departure we decided that we would take our own cases off, which was really easy and meant we could have a leisurely breakfast before leaving the ship. As I did not know what time we would be leaving the ship, we just got a taxi from the port to the hotel we were staying at in Barcelona. It wasn't far but it was almost 20 Euros, whereas the transfers which were much further to and from the airport was only 38 Euro.

We stayed at the Universal Barcelona hotel for a further 2 nights after leaving the ship. Fantastic hotel, great location, and would certainly go back.

Overall - Loved the service and the food and had a fantastic holiday. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>