Liberty of the Seas 4

“Overall good, but I feel short-changed. ”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas

tikkas
Member Since 2009
52 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

We are a European couple (not Italian, not Spanish) and this was our 5th cruise, our 2nd with RCCL and the other times with Norwegian, always in the Med and always in summer.

A lot has already been said in other reviews, so I'd like to focus on the couple of things which I feel could be improved.

- Dining: we always breakfasted and sometimes lunched in the Windjammer, and I would not call the variety of food available inspirational. It's not bad, but neither is it particularly noteworthy. In this sense, Norwegian is a much better option. Chops was simply excellent if you like meat, and I would thoroughly recommend their Forest Mushroom soup as a starter. Portofino was a disappointment.We were led to expect Italian food, but there is little of true Italian food. I can only call it "Italian creative cooking". By way of example, the Tiramisu is certainly not an Italian tiramisu (so why call it so?), the French creme brulee is not finished in the French style, and the More carpaccios were not particularly noteworthy. Johnny Rockets, for burgers, is excellent.

- Cleanliness: when we boarded and on a couple of other days, the floor in Windjammer was sticky (it reminded me of fast food joints).

- Entertainment: compared to other cruises, including on the Navigator a couple of years ago, we felt that the variety and quality of the entertainment options had suffered. This goes for both the theatre options as well as the live music ones. David the pianist in the Schooner Bar is very entertaining, but apart from him we felt that the other live music options were not really attractive.

An overall comment for the benefit of European travellers only: everything appears to be conceived with American guests in mind, starting with the dining, the beverages (including the horrendous coffee - if you want proper coffee you will need to pay extra for it), the training staff is given, the "liability avoidance" notices everywhere advising you to watch out (e.g. warnings on the bottles of champagne that the cork could cause harm when it pops) and the type of entertainment (we didn't know many of the 70s and 80s and country songs being sung in the Schooner Bar and in Olive or Twist, for example). And yet, this cruise was filled by a majority of guests from Spain, Italy, Britain and the Middle East.

All in all a very enjoyable cruise, but Royal, there are some things you can certainly improve. Less

Liberty of the Seas Cruises to the Western Mediterranean

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review:

9694
Good cabin, on the same side of the ship as the dining rooms. The balcony sliding doors do not prevent noise from the neighbours or cigarette smoke from coming in - they do not seem to shut hermetically.

Published 08/18/14

Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review

Liberty of the Seas Cruises to the Western Mediterranean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?