Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by onesycamore: Overall, delighted with this cruise; just a few suggestions

onesycamore
Member Since 2010

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Mediterranean Cruises

Overall, delighted with this cruise; just a few suggestions

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

This was the feedback we gave to Celebrity:

Food and service in MDR were excellent (except for sommelier – see below). Head Waiter Arta and Ass’t Andrei were very attentive and helped make the dining experience pleasant.

Stateroom attendant - excellent, as usual. Whatever you pay them, it’s probably not enough. They work really hard!!

Sommelier was sporadically late in making his rounds to our table. Usually, we had our appetizer served before placing our order. Drink package unintended consequence?

Stateroom – excellent (well designed with adequate storage. See “safe” comment below)

Internet: Awful!! In the first 2 days I was unable to get connected to my e-mail. After three different “consults” with the iLounge person, I was told that “the server” could not connect with my e-mail provider (AOL, in this case). I have used this laptop in 10 different cities in China; 2 different More cities in Egypt; Singapore; Puerto Rico; dozens of cities across the US as well as on two other Celebrity cruises and this has never been a problem. To solve this problem I had to log into AOL webmail to read and send e-mails. No way (that I know of) to download e-mails and compose responses off-line in this manner. Also, e-mails that I received and sent were not able to be stored on my laptop - - only at the webmail site of AOL. All this ate up my login time and is exceptionally “clunky”. Further, on our first “at sea” day, I tried 3 different times and could not even get connected - - I assume because of the concentration of onboard “traffic”. (We stayed overnight after disembarkation at a hotel near Venice airport and email was without any trouble.)

Kotor tendering was definitely slower than it should have been. We were instructed to be at our “meeting point” at 8:45 AM for a 9:00 scheduled departure for our excursion. We did not leave the “meeting point” until about 10:30 and did not board our tender for another 10-15 minutes. Tendering at Split was much smoother and efficient - - no delays at all.

Relative to the above, these are “second tier” suggestions, but if you are really looking for detailed input:

- Chill the plates in the Oceanview Café (and others?) for “cold food”.

- There has to be a better way to do the “accounting” related to sea pass transactions. We had a drink package and the poor bar tenders had to do all kinds of things every time we bought even something as simple as a bottle of water or a soda. (In most instances “swiping” the card through the card reader did not work, and the server had to type in our card number and then proceed through multiple screens and “tapping” multiple icons??)

- On future ships, find a place to put the safe at “eye-level”. It is hard for us “oldies” to get down on our knees to see the keypad to enter the code each time we open/close the safe.

- Fire your supplier of maraschino cherries - - just awful.

- Provide a tutorial on “How to navigate the in-room TV”.

- Disembarkation was very smooth and without hassle.

- Provide a “tutorial” (to those needing it) on how to navigate from the ship to points of interest in each port or upon disembarkation (exactly where to find local public transportation, etc.) Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>