Scenic Sapphire Cruise Review by alexandra cruiser: Scenic Sapphire from Budapest to Bucharest

alexandra cruiser
Member Since 2009
3,134 Posts

Scenic Sapphire from Budapest to Bucharest

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Europe - Black Sea
Embarkation: Budapest

This was my first cruise on Scenic River cruises,and won t be my last.Have already booked another for next May.The ship,food,staff,cabins,etc.all great,would rate 4 to 4 1/2 stars.I m just picky about some details,so not 5 star(very subjective,I know) .The itinerary would not be one for newbies,as not as scenic as others I ve been on.Budapest was great,lots to see,hotel(Marriott)nice and good location.Only really great cruise section was Iron Gorge area(lots of tall rock formations),but rest sort of dull and industry based.I Bucharest had some lovely sections but not a city I d want to go back to. I wanted to see the whole Danube and did it in 3 different sections.

Really glad I upgraded to jr.balcony suite.The tub,room service,butler,extra space all worth it.That s one of the reasons picked Scenic in first place.Also loved the airport transfer,tips for everyone(bus and guide) and left ship owing nothing.Every port had city tour and then choice for free tour(not extra charge More as with some).

The food,in general,was above average(for a river cruise).Breakfast with room service was usually warm,but not hot.Had to eat of tray on balcony(not trolley cart).The table la rive(special dinner for Danube Deck and suites)was the best one.Then Portobellos was second.Dining room could be very loud,and service generally quite good,but long.,,usually 2 hrs.Did have tables for 2,4,6 and could sit where you wanted.

Entertainment was 2 folk bands and dancers,crew show,and piano player.It started at 9 15 pm.Lasted 45 min.or so.Fun to watch,but not like ocean liners.Many newbies thought it was "amateur hour",but I liked it.Have been on 10 other river cruises and knew what to expect.

Staff was helpful,esp.nice to have a Butler.Very prompt with granting requests,from pillow selection to explanation of cabin,TV,and all details.Room service and 2 treats a day delivered on time,But they also had to serve as waiters too.\

In conclusion, if you want a great ship,food,service,and all inclusive you ll be very happy with Scenic.Just know what to expect so your experience will be what you really want.Not an ocean liner,ships on river are smaller,entertainment is low key. Less

Read more Scenic Sapphire cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Scenic Sapphire Review >>

Cabin review: Scenic Sapphire 201

So glad I upgraded to this suite.The room was larger,had a small tub,butler,room service and opportunity to eat at special chefs dinner.Closets on small side but adequate.Balcony was nice and loved the window that can be shut to keep out rain,but not close off balcony.

City also was lovely in many areas,lots of parks and green space,but many dull bldgs.also built during communist control.City tour was interesting and saw the major sites.Then we took the extra excursion to Draculas castle.Was fun and weird and glad we went,but it was a 3 hr drive both ways which made for a long day.Actual castle tour was about 1 1/2 hrs.with extra time for lunch and exploring on own.
Some took the HOHO bus here and wish we d had time to do both.Would have passed on long,boring tour of Parliament Bldg.Guide was dull,rooms not as impressive as outside,filled with smoke(odd I know).Some just took a taxi on own to hotel,which was sort of far out and not centrally located.But nice Marriott hotel in all.

This was my second trip here and so glad I had the opportunity to revist this great city.Love the lights on all the bldgs.at nite.A real hi lite of trip.City tour was informative and gave you time in pm to go on own.We took a pedicab and nice way to see downtown area.Many took a HOHO bus or walked around.Good restuarants close to hotel which was right on river.