Carnival Glory Cruise Review by trionus: Definitely happy with this cruise

trionus
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

Definitely happy with this cruise

Sail Date: May 2014

We traveled the last week in May 2014. I usually prefer December-February for my cruises, but this one was an anniversary gift. I enjoyed the more muted decor of the Glory. Just about everything felt a little more upscale with only a few places that seemed more old-Carnival (I'm looking at you White Heat Lounge.)

Things were a little rushed and haphazard embarkation morning because of a Customs inspection. Somehow they messed up our VIFP status and we were going to join the couple of thousand unhappy people in the terminal. After speaking with a lady at the counter where you pick up your Sail and Sign cards (Blue?!?!) we were ushered to a back office that quickly and politely fixed the mishap and had us on the way to priority boarding.

Onboard it was great cruise life. I love the middle America feel where your well-heeled are laughing and joking with the first-timers. I'll focus on unique likes:

I read about the cruise director from this sight and I was not More disappointed. He's like the godfather of cruise directors. The hardest working man in entertainment. He's a mix of Kevin Hart and John Witherspoon.

Food: It has gotten better, but there are still some bland areas of the buffets. The stand-out for us was the Emerald Steakhouse. I pooh-poohed the idea of paying for food on a cruise. But we tried it. And we liked it. A lot. The quality of food, presentation, and service was exemplary. It was easily a $100/plate menu and meal. I felt we got out of it more than we put in. Absolutely worth it. Almost as good as our experiences with our favorite high-end restaurants at home. We would definitely do this again and probably more than once on 7-day cruise.

Serenity was nice. We found a couples hammock and swayed with the ship. They only drawback were a bunch of loud Jacuzzi dwellers shouting for wine and drinks. When they were sipping it was bliss to sway in the hammock to the ship. Wish we had explored this place sooner.

I enjoy the newish show style and how a theater night almost becomes an all night event that runs from Dinner, to the Amber Theater, to the Deck 3 Atrium and finally to the Promenade.

Ports were great. Cozumel always soaks me for money somehow. Took an excursion in Belize. Beach day in Roatan. Costa Maya was just a stop on the way back. I did not feel it had much to offer.

It's a right-sized ship with out-sized entertainment, food, and great destinations (3 out of 4 I have never visited.)

Definitely happy with this cruise. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Verandah 8336

Clean, comfortable, and Louis was fantastic. Attentive and always everywhere it seemed. The balcony was a let down. It was very short. We were under the Lido deck, so it was loud at times at night (chairs moving, etc. Music was not a problem.) Could not get a lot of sun, but the view was great. There were no obstructions to the view.But there was an obstruction in the bathroom. When using the shower, the overflow drain outside the shower would start to slowly fill the bathroom. This prompted very short showers before it could become a problem that a well-placed towel could not fix. Ran to find Louis who handled it immediately with maintenance by the time we came back from dinner. No further problems after that.