Carnival Glory Cruise Review by JennCandi: Not in her Glory

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

Not in her Glory

Sail Date: May 2014

My husband and I enjoy cruising with the kids each year and thought this one was too good to pass up. We got a balcony cabin on deck 6 for an excellent price. We flew into Miami the morning of the cruise and everything went smoothly. We went to pick up our bags at baggage claim and noticed the check in counter for Carnival right there. The line was pretty long, so we decided to wait. While waiting for our ride to pick us up, the line disappeared and we went right up to the counter and checked in. Perfect!

We were dropped off at the pier around 2:00 and dropped off our bags, walked through security and past the very long lines at check in, right onto the ship. I was so happy we checked in at the airport. First stop, the room. Very nice, plenty of closet and drawer space. One king size bed, one couch and one Pullman bed (which we didn't use). The balcony had two chairs and a small table. I enjoyed sitting out there with a drink or my book each day relaxing.

We walked More up to the pool area and got our first Red Frog beer, which was pretty bad in a warm plastic cup. Went back to the room and our bags were waiting for us. Then it was time for the Muster drill. The worst part of cruising! We went to our Muster Station and stood in the heat for about 20 minutes, while they counted us to be sure everyone was there. Nope, start over again. At this point I notice the ship is moving. We are stuck at Muster, during sail away. I love watching us leave Miami, so this was a disappointment to me.

The food was okay. I was actually pleased with the selection in the buffet every day. My kids (5 & 4) are picky eaters. They both like to eat pretty much just steak, lamb and bread. There was usually steak or lamb at the carving station each day. They also eat fruit and there was plenty of that. I like the omelet station and usually have that each morning. I waited in the buffet line for 25 minutes at breakfast one morning. Refused to do that again. The pizza was delicious. I didn't care for Guy's Burgers. Very greasy. We had Your Time Dining and ate in the Golden Dining Room each night. We never had to wait for a table. The service was good, not excellent. It depended on where you were sat. We had Noel and Jojo two nights and they were very funny, but we didn't like the location of their section. I preferred the old menus to the new American Style. I'm trying to think of one meal that was excellent and can't. I did love the escargot appetizer, but that's always one of my favorites, as well as the melting chocolate cake. On the first day at sea, they had a cooking demo in the Steak House. They give you samples of the food and everything there was delicious. I can't see spending $35 per person on dinner there though, when I can eat for free in the dining room.

My kids get very excited each year about going to Camp Carnival. We call it the kids club and that's all they talk about for months before and after the cruise. This is what keeps dragging us back to Carnival. They are not open on embarkation day, except for sign up and I believe for Night Owls after 10:00 p.m. We always take them for dinner in the buffet and then drop them off at Camp Carnival, so we can go to eat in the dining room and to see a comedy show or do a little gambling after. If they stay later than 10:00 p.m. there is a charge. They have parties or movies at night and the kids have a blast. They are open during the day too and we usually will drop them off after breakfast on sea days and pick them up for lunch. My only complaint is they always seem to be closed during the wine tasting events!

Entertainment on board seems to get worse and worse each year. There were only a few nights that they had comedy shows. I had a lot of trouble finding activities during the day that I wanted to watch or join in on. The music by the pool wasn't even a dj anymore, it was just on the speakers. I prefer live music, but not on this cruise. The best music we heard was by the casino each evening. There was usually a pretty good band playing in that area. The last day at sea was cold and rainy. All the activities for the day were planned by the pool and they didn't decide to add anything else. That day we found the EA Sportsbar, which was nice. I wish we had found it the first day. It's between the shops and the casino, kind of hidden. There are ipads on the tables for playing sports games, like soccer and golf and they have x-boxes with flat screen tvs. The Red Frog Beer was good there, in a frosty glass.

The crew on the ship was the worst I've encountered in our 13 cruises. These people did not want to be on this ship. The cruise director was great and there were a few waiters and Camp Carnival counselors that were friendly, but that's about it. I never met such rude waiters as we had during the breakfast or brunch service in the dining room. It was a struggle to get bar service in the dining room and bars. Our room steward knocked on our door at least twice when we had the snoozing sign on. We were yelled at for switching out our own wet towels at the pool, when there was nobody there to do it for us.

Debarkation was a breeze. We didn't have a flight home until the next day, so we put our bags out the night before and had breakfast the morning of and waited in the buffet area until they called our number (24), which was about 9:30. Got through customs in about 20 minutes and out to our waiting transportation. Easy!

All in all, I enjoyed the cruise, because I was on vacation and not at work. I would not recommend this cruise though and will be going back to NCL or Princess next time. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Upper 6465

One king size bed, one couch and one Pullman bed (which we didn't use). Nice size room with plenty of closet and drawer space. Only one outlet in the room and no fridge. The balcony had two chairs and a small table. The bathroom was fine, but the shower leaked all over the place. The shower head fell off and they replaced it, so it didn't leak anymore. The room is located over the Ebony Cabaret, so you could hear whatever was going on down there at night. If you are looking for a quiet room, this isn't the one for you.