Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Jfeeley20: Celebrity Summit 2014- royal suite experience

Jfeeley20
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

Celebrity Summit 2014- royal suite experience

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

Celebrity Summit is an older ship. Well maintained and very clean. I think every time I used a public bathroom, there was someone cleaning in there. It almost seemed like their job was to stay in there all day and clean each stall after every use.

Compared to other ships, their activity choices were less (ex. Bingo, game shows, pool party games, dance lessons, ect), but they had more areas for socializing (coffee bar, lounges, ect). I'm sure it is because they age of the guests is higher. :)

Embarkation- we had a royal suite so this was easy. We were escorted and we were onboard in 10 minutes. When you get onboard they take you to Micheals club . This is your private club only for suite guests. They serve you treats and drinks until your room is ready. The butler then meets you and escorts you to your room and provides a 10 minute speech of all your entitled to as a suite guest (I won't spoil it, but it's amazing)

Dining- we had dinner in formal dining room More every night. We are vegetarians so had only 1 choice of entree from the menu. I don't like mushrooms, so a couple nights I didn't choose the entree. However, they usually have at least 1 soup, appetizer, or salad without meat. If I wanted to, I could ask for another dish but leave off the meat. Other dining options were the Buffett, or reservation and extra money for specialty dining. We did do Normandie one night. The food was excellent, but plan for a few hour meal. We were there for an hour and a half and wasn't through all the courses. We left early because we had a commitment we needed to get to and we missed the best part- dessert.

Our suite- wonderful. Room 6139. Had had way more space then ever could need . Dining room we used a lot to serve our guests left over wedding cake and late night pizza room service. We used the jacuzzi on the balcony once. The shower was large. Walk in closet. They give you two bottles of alcohol- absolut vodka and something else- whiskey I think. Between those and free drinks at micheals club, you probably wouldn't need to purchase the drink packages. At 3:30, the butler comes with a cart of tea time sandwiches and desserts with coffee or tea. I really liked that. We sat on our balcony and enjoyed them.

Weather- we lucked out. It was sunny and 80 in NJ the day we left to Bermuda. The sea days were sunny and warm on the way there. The pool water was too cold to enjoy but the hot tubs were great. In Bermuda in May I was warm but not hot. When the sun was out it was 70 degrees and pleasant, but with a breeze it got cool. I took with me a light long-sleeve shirt everywhere. We went scuba diving- in May the water is still cool. We used a 7mm shorts wet suit first. But ended up with a hood and extra rash guard for warmth. If I had it, I would have used a 7mm full suit with hood and boots.

As with everything, nothing's perfect. I had a few things I wanted the cruise line to know. This is from our post-cruise survey. "Photos should be organized by room number. Or labeled by date and location. We had a hard time figuring out which days things were. Micheals club- we had access but our group guests did not. If we had traveled alone we may have utilized it. When in a group we never did. Would have been great if we could have invited 2 guests to share private time with them away from the crowds. Ocean view cafe- some things I wished was self service instead of waiting to be served- such as oatmeal and soups. Also, the way to grab food is ackward. The bar/glass between the food and guests is in the way. I knocked myself and the plate almost every time I went for anything. The shops- we needed an emergency tie. Apparently, the ties are only out the first day. Celebrity reputation- We were on the trip for a wedding. We had a big group that likes to have a good time. At night when we were out, we felt like we were frowned upon by the staff. Even one staff had made a rude comment and embarrassed one of us saying he drank too much on a microphone in front of a crowd. That was extremely unprofessional and should have been reprimanded. Shore excursions- overbooked a last minute glass bottom boat tour. We had our group ready to go but the actual boat didn't have the space for us. Only 4 of us could go. My hair appointment- spa was confused at the reservation. I made it pre-booked bc it's for my wedding and it was too early to book online. I had confirmation from Cassandra and said she passed my reservation, and two of my bridesmaids on to the spa manager. But when I arrived they had me an hour later, and no appointment for one of my bridesmaids. Caused lots of confusion.

Overall, despite these, we had a great time. Celebrity has many departments and I feel the communication between them needs work, and my problems could have been avoided if it was better. However, direct contact with the celebrity employees (shop attendants, guest relations, servers, butlers, spa employees) were excellent at resolving problems and customer service. Because of them, we were not upset about the problems we encountered. They tried to do everything possible to keep us happy. "

I would recommend Celebrity cruise line for older adults (50+) or anyone younger if they want a low key, sophisticated cruise line. My favorite cruise line is Royal Carribean, and second is Norwegian. I am 34 years old and have cruised since I was 8 years old. Now, I like to have drinks at night and be entertained. These cruise lines are a happy medium between not over party and cheesy (Carnival) but not as sophisticated as Celebrity. Celebrity has a higher quality of food (but let's not forget, they still have to feed thousands each night) than other cruise lines. And the entertainment is more duets, piano, and acoustic guitar shows. These are very lounge and low key, but the performers are very talented. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit 6139

Worth the money. We had a room on the left hand side, in the back. We faced NYC in NJ and the pier in Bermuda. It was quiet. Balcony is semi-private bc although there is an awning over the balcony, the verandas above can see between the pieces of awning. Dinner was only 3 floors down the closest staircase, and buffett was only 4 floors up the closest staircase. The only major thing on the other side of the boat was the theatre and gym. Other than those, everything was close to the room.

Shops are close to the pier and even a beach. If you didn't want to go past the pier, you can still experience Bermuda. If you did want to explore, the sea ferry is fast and cheap ($8 round trip) to St. George (45min) or Hamilton (didn't have time to see). We took a taxi to a Dive site to go Scuba diving, which was more expensive than the ferry by a lot. Also, if you want to do St. George on the last day, they say to catch the 2:15 ferry back to the ship.