Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by jgperegrine

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by jgperegrine
Celebrity Silhouette
Celebrity Silhouette
Member Name: jgperegrine
Cruise Date: March 2014
See More About: Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Good but not Great!

My Wife and I just returned from the 3/30/14 sailing on the Silhouette. We had a very relaxing week on the ship and enjoyed the Ports of call. We were actually a bit disappointed with the Silouette. Everything on the ship is good or OK, but just no WOW factor.

The Very Good,

This was the first cruise after 10+ that you could get a chair around the pool anytime of the day. No saving was done or allowed, and it worked out great. The fellow cruisers were great. Everyone was curtious and friendly, we met many interesting and fun people. The crew were great, very friendly and eager to please. The ship is good shape and very easy to get around. I really liked that there were very few anouncements. The Captain was great, very funny and friendly. Getting on and off the ship was always a breeze.

The Good,

The food on the ship was probably the biggest disappointment, especially after reading all the reviews. The food was not bad, but nothing except maybe the Creme Brulee left you saying, Wow this is really good. The meats were very dry, the Lobster was over cooked, nothing I ate in the MDR or Buffet stood out. We tried Qsine and again it was OK. We tried Tuscan Grill and it was good, but I was really expecting great there. My steak was a good cut of meat, but they smothered in spices. Our cabin was fine, it could use some more storage space but it worked. Our balcony was a different story (see below). We enjoyed the ports of call.

The not so Good,

The coffee was terrible, even the coffee you had to pay $5 for was not good! The coffee in the MDR was better (I do like my coffee). This was the first cruise I had that the waiters in MDR did not encourage you to try a second dish. One guy at our table asked for a second Lobster tail and the waiter looked at him like really? Note, we had select dining so we had different waiters every night. The daytime activities were really lacking, not much to do. Thankfully, I just wanted to relax, but to be honest I started to get bored on our second sea day. I think this ship would be best for an itenerary that includes many Ports of call. The Cruise Director Damian, in my opinion was the worst one we ever had. He wasn't funny and did not appear to be personable. The entertainment would have been a diaster if it was not for Kyle & Mistie Knight's magic show and the performances by Michelle Murlin. They were very good but the entertainment as a whole was not so good. The pool area had no music for long periods of time. A band would play a few songs and then leave. A DJ would play a few songs and then stop. I don't think I would do pre-paid gratuities again. This was my first cruise where the cabin attendant did not introduce themselves the first day and we were on the Concierge floor (waste of money). I did meet her after a few days only after I complained about the Soot on my Balcony (see below). We received some canapes the first two days and then it stopped. We never found out why until the next to last day. There was a piece of paper you had to fill out saying that you wanted them. This paper was always mixed in with sales junk and we it through it out everyday. They would schedule many events in the evening around the Grand Foyer. Well this is actually a small Foyer and there are very few seats. Most of the time you could not see what was going on and you had to stand through the whole event. The spa was waaaaay to expensive $195 for a 55 min massage. They had a special one day for $149 that included various applications that lasted 75 min. My wife and I tried it, it was good but not worh almost $200 each after tax and gratuities. The drinks were always easy to get, but they were the worst I had on 10+ cruises. One day I ordered a Pina Colada and the bartender ran out of mixer so he just poured something else in it and handed it to me, it was awful (I could not believe it) I ended up sticking with Beer and Wine.

The awful!!!,

Our aft cabin balcony was covered in Soot for most of the trip. If you want to know more about "S" class aft cabins I posted a thread on the boards labeled stay away from "S" class aft balcony's.

Publication Date: 04/15/14