“A Once in a Lifetime Cruise”
Cruise review of Oceania Nautica

no fuss travel Nautica 5 A Once in a Lifetime Cruise
no fuss travel
Member Since 2008
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

Enjoyed the cruise but felt that Oceania kept up to its usual lacklustre entertainment. No surprises there at all.

Specialty restaurants, particularly Toscana were not up to Oceania's usual standards. Orders were mixed up, table ignored until all smaller tables had been waited on, and the desserts just were not as well prepared as on previous cruises. Terrace Cafe was excellent and the GDR staff performed better than the specialty restaurants as long as you were sitting at a table for 6 or less. Tables or 8 or more simply don't work in the GDR or in the specialty restaurants.

Cruise staff was excellent and Willie Aames did an excellent job of running Trivia. He made it more international as this was truly an international crowd on this particular cruise. I was quite surprised to find out that the American contingent was only 50% of the passengers. The other games run by the other cruise staff were done very well and quite entertaining to watch. Some passengers were very serious about winning each contest and it got quite funny to watch when others struck it lucky and won. This was the best distribution of Big O prizes that I have seen while aboard a ship.

We did not do any Oceania tours and listening to my Trivia teammates were glad that we did not. Half of our Trivia team did private tours and the other half took Oceania tours, so we did a lot of comparisons.

Maputo was my least favourite port. This was the port where I felt hassled by the locals trying to get me to buy souvenirs . This made me back off. Kenya had the worst drivers. I was surprised by the time I got back to the ship that my hair had not turned white from all the near misses. It was just not our driver, but the way all drive here.

Neptune ceremony was different. The poor passengers who had the goo poured over them had great difficulties washing it off. The deck took a long time to clean up after the ceremony was over even though they had put down plastic to protect the deck.

In general I liked the ports, but wished we could have had more time at some and better arrival and departure times so that we could have seen the animals in the reserves at the best viewing times. I have now caught the Africa bug and will return, but not to cruise, but instead take a land tour so that I can see more of this great continent.

Nautica Cruises to Africa
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

6056
Small. I prefer the O class cabins. Good bed and excellent stewards.
Published 03/09/14
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Nautica Review
Nautica Cruises to Africa
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?