Carnival Victory Cruise Review by Lulabelle520: The good the bad the ugly....

Lulabelle520
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Western Caribbean Cruises

The good the bad the ugly....

Sail Date: February 2014

As far as the whole experience, I truly believe, you get what you put into it. I have been on a better boat, but if you look at all that isn't perfect, then you start not having fun and we were there to have fun! First the could be better part..

The ship layout sucks...it is really an aggravation, we did our research ahead of time and knew it was considered a bad layout, but we continually lost. It really is hard to navigate from one end of the ship to the other. You can only get through on 2 floors, the 1st and 5th. Really a big hassle.

The food, eh it was for the most part OK. Drinks are every expensive...Lines could be long...The Omelette station was very good as was chopsticks. The dining room was about a solid 6 in my opinion. I am not a picky eater, I like all kinds of food, but it wasn't always hot, it wasn't always cooked perfectly, but was adequate.

The service, dining room was completely hit or miss, but mostly slow. The buffet servers seemed on it More most of the time. Our cabin steward was great, but our friends said theirs was not very attentive, didn't leave them beach towels and just not good.

The entertainment, the welcome show was typical cheese. The comedians in my opinion were just ok and the staff was not as big or had as much going as I observed on my previous sailing. The DJ was doing his best, but the on deck games were lacking. The 2 hr screeching Tina Turner concert on the main deck was sooooooo annoying. I guess if you liked TT it was great, but it didn't seem to be appreciated by most. We never watched any of the movies, but none were new.

The pools were crowded with kids, deck chairs were a hassle to get beyond 9am, people would save them all day while they stayed n the jacuzzi or pool and then just get out and leave after never really using them, very annoying. The pools are also very small. The slide seemed like it was seldom ope, but maybe I didn't notice when it was open until we wanted to use it on the last day.

Ship condition could be better, carpet frayed in places. Looked a little worn.

Cabin, well we paid for cheap and we got the dungeon with a lot of engine noise. We were at the end of the hall in 1437, but we didn't have hallway noise, we never noticed noise from other cabins. Bed vibrated All night for free!...lol

The good

Embarkation and disembarkment was a breeze.

The omelette station and chopsticks were really good.

The entertainment, we didn't expect anything beyond cheese, so got what was expected.

We don't go on a cruise for gourmet food, so overall we were satisfied.

The ports were beautiful, we did not book tours through the cruise line, which saved us a ton of money.

Rum runners made it on the ship, so we saved a ton of money on drinks.

Faster to fun was well worth the $50...we got off and on the boat much more efficiently.

Nightclub was fun, I love to dance and there was plenty of music I would dance to.

The cabin....the bed vibrated all night for free!....lol

As I stated I believe a cruise is a lot of what your own attitude is. I don't go expecting grand entertainment or gourmet food, I go to enjoy the weather, check out some cool places, make new friends and spend time with loved ones...we did that and had a fabulous time. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Interior Riviera 1437

Noisy, vibration all the time. At the end of the hall, so really didn't get any noise from others, just the boat itself.

Beach Break

(3)

It's a very beautiful, but crowded beach, the bar is extremely expensive, $30 for 5 miller lights. Water sports are expensive...water is lovely.

Margaritaville ls where we went afterwards, also very expensive, but love the rooftop pool and slide in the bar...a great time!...

Irie Blue Hole

We booked with an independent named Noel through Chris Linton tours. The whole island is full of people haranguing you for dollars, it is a very poor country. He took care of us and we never felt unsafe except for some of the crazy driving that all the locals do. Took us to the blue hole, which was incredible, Skotchies in the jerk village (best chicken we've ever eaten), and a beach where the water was so gorgeous!...all for 150 plus tip and meal. We also paid $10 for the blue hole and paid our guide Ice Cold, who was equally amazing a $20 tip. These are kids, but very attentive and practiced in navigating the falls safely with all kinds of people. The Blue Hole is not to be missed. As far as
Our driver, there always seemed to be something sketchy going on in the background. We observed him getting paid off to take us to a shop to buy souvenirs...I told my party as soon as we got there that he was getting a kickback for bringing us, it was very expensive, even though he sId he was taking us to a less expensive area. But all in all. It is the way of these very poor people. We had a great day, felt safe, he was very personable and took good care of us for what we felt was a very reasonable price and stayed with us the whole time. We were also informed at the end that the original tour guide Chris, who did pay us a visit , was going to take a cut of the money of course, so we ended up tipping him another $20 each couple. Beautiful place, but be awAre that everyone is on the take and expecting a tip for everything.