Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by janicelynn1581

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by janicelynn1581
Carnival Splendor
Carnival Splendor
Member Name: janicelynn1581
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Great Girlfriend Cruise

Overall, I thought this was a good cruise. We had several things we did not like, but many things we loved. I went on this cruise with four other girlfriends. The five of us were in two rooms. We had a balcony and the other two had an oceanview.

Embarkation was smooth and cabins were available at the time they told us they would be. Our luggage appeared before dinner. One thing that was annoying was while eating lunch they kept coming over to sell us the drink special and one person in our group does not drink and they continued to pester her to buy. Our rooms were nice and clean. I felt my balcony was slightly smaller than oceanview rooms I have had in the past on other ships. I wouldn't necessarily spring for a balcony again, doesn't seem worth it to me. Our cabin steward was okay. He called us all by the same name and I swear he stalked us to find out when we were leaving our room to clean it.

The food was overall good. I have been on other lines and prefer carnival for the food. Breakfast at the Lido was good, but we didn't care for breakfast in the main dining rooms. We normally ate lunch on Lido, which was also good but I wished they had more selection. Dinner in the main dining room was good and service was fantastic. We loved our waiter Wibawa. We had choose your time dining in the Black Pearl and were very satisfied and most nights got the same waiter. We loved their nightly performances. We also ate at the steakhouse. My friends loved it. I thought the food was just okay, not spectacular. The service was great. The 24-hour pizza was fantastic (I normally don't like the pizza on cruise ships). The room service was hit or miss.

The entertainment was great. Shows were good. The two singers they had were fantastic and better than others I have seen on other ships. They seemed to have a good variety of shows. We went to the comedy club as well. One thing I didn't like (must be a new thing) is that you now have to wait in line for the club and they clear the club after each show and you have to line up again. The shows are very popular and always full to capacity so many people missed out. If you didn't get there at least 30 minutes early, you were out of luck. They need to have a different system for this. Either move the shows to the larger showroom or hand out tickets so we don't have to wait in line. The comics were all great, so it is a very popular option. The entertainment staff were good and the things they put on were fun. We did go to the club a few nights and it was a good time. I wish they didn't allow smoking in there though. One of my friends won $1000 on a pull tab at bingo, so people do win money.

The pools and hot tubs were hit or miss. They were closed more than they were open and if they were open, they were always full. That was unfortunate. We also used spa services. Four of my group bought the spa package to have unlimited use of the thermal spa and saunas. I didn't think it was worth the money and the thermal spa was closed three of the days we were there. I also received spa services, which were good. I thought overall the spa was better than others I have seen on other ships. My friends used the gym and were happy.

I know many people do not like the decor of the ship, but we all liked it. It is pink, but I thought it was interesting. This is not a reason to avoid the ship. The ship does need some upgrading and is tired in some areas, but not terrible.

We stopped at three ports. Port Canavaral - we did not get off the ship this day and were disappointed that all the pools and spas (including the thermal spa) were closed due to a "chemical problem." Two of my friends went to cocca beach and enjoyed it.

Nassau - It was cold this day. We went to Senor Frogs (great) and did some shopping before our excursion. We went on a snorkeling adventure with stingrays on Balmoral Island which I do not recommend. It was terrible and the worst excursion I have been on. We complained and received a partial credit for our tour. Our catamarran was cancelled and the boat we took over was overfull and the bathroom non-functional (but continued to be used). Our 4.5 hour excursion was really only 1.5 hours on the island after you factor in travel time and we were stuck on the boat for over 30 minutes waiting to unload (this was after the 45 minute boat ride). The beach itself was dirty and littered with garbage. The bathrooms were some of the worst I've ever seen and also non-functional and littered with garbage. There were no changing rooms. The small area for food/coffee was highly overpriced. The snorkeling itself was a joke. You are confined to a small roped off area with stingrays (which I never even saw). You are handed a snorkel, mask, and life vest (which you have to blow to inflate) which were not cleaned between guest use (disgusting). We never saw any stingrays and were in the water for 45 minutes. No one took pictures as promised and no one explained anything about the experience. The boat ride back was even worse, standing room only on an open boat in rough seas. It was a miracle no one fell off.

Freeport - It was also cold this day, but much warmer. We took a cab to Lucaya, which ran out of gas on the side of the road. We made it there and went to the beach and shopping which was good. They didn't have any chairs to rent, which they did when I have been there in the past. The prices are more expensive here than closer to the boat. We went to Senor Frogs again and then back on the boat. We think someone may not have made it back to the boat. They made several announcements looking for two people and we saw ship officers looking with photos of people in the spa (we assumed they were searching the boat for them). Not sure if they got left behind, but we left a little late.

Overall, I thought the cruise was great other than the few incidents we had. Debarkation was okay and as expected. I would sail this boat again, but they need to fix the pool issue.

Publication Date: 01/26/14