Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by philandtessie

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by philandtessie
Oasis of the Seas
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

Best ship ever

This was my wife and I second time on Oasis. I do warn you if you go on this ship it spoils you. We went on a 'regular" ship HAL Nieuw Amsterdam in the summer (after our first Oasis trip in Spring) and the Amsterdam ship itself was a let down. It is a newer ship but is the same as most other cruise ships. Do not get me wrong I love any cruise but the ship itself was not as exciting. The Oasis has the great promenade. HAL did not (it does not even have a good atrium). Love the Oasis central park and boardwalk as well.

Even though 6,000 passengers. It is rarely crowded. Windjammer buffet gets crowded during the breakfast and lunch rush times. but there are many other options . Johnny Rockets is good. Not great. Actually like the free Guy Burgers on carnival better. Sorentos pizza is very very good. Much much better then Holland Amerricas pizza and open much longer. Love the free promenade cafe for sandwiches and cookies/desserts. Also loved central park cafe, but sometimes is very busy.

We dined only in the main anytime dining room for our dinners this time. Loved every meal. Previously had eaten at 150 and chops and loved those. We did not care for the italian restaurant previousy. I love the anytime. we never had any wait for a 2 person table and had great food and service.

Loved the shows: ice was freat (we had seen it before but still great) aqua good but does not seem to have a followable story line??. Hairspray, which we saw before was good, seemed better then the first time. My only negative is it seems overly long. Easily good shorten a some of the number sna dwould make the show better. The Mu5sik show was very good as well. We could not get into see the comedy show. was booked up online andwe tried twice during the cruise and did not get in. They need to put this show in a bigger venue. Did see the comedians for the "family" open show. We both loved it and laughed alot.

Also laughed a lot at the Captains questionand answer "show" he was very funny and was very educational. something not to miss.

Dave our cruise director, form Australia, was very good. much better then the previous one I cannot remember her name.

We had no problem getting on or off the ship. was concenred since "goverment shutdown"

We had a balcony overlooking the boardwalk, located near AFT of ship so could see the Aqua theater. very good room. No complaints. As always cabin stewart was excellent. All staff were great.

I like the soda machine package. Can mix up endless varieties of sodas as well as use the usual bar.staff sodas. They do need to get a few more of the machines scattered around the ship and frequently they were out of ice which was annoying.

My only real complaint is Boleros bar: it is on the promenade opens right up to it, in a busy "inside section" of the ship. Smoking is allowed there. Smoke spreads out into that section of the promenade. Also when they have art shows in there it still smells of smoke. That area is almost as bad as walking by the casino. Smoking should not be allowed there. Love that there is no smoking on the balconies.

also the shop workers need to stop handing out tons of paper advertising there coming up special etc. It is annoying and not needed.

As I say on every cruise I take the photos need to be all digital. come on cruise ships get ""green" how much money, chemical, paper are wasted printing out thousands of photos that are not bought. Put then in the photo area with lots of computers where people can browse through them. then let us order what we want either to have you print them up or even better burn them to a cd or drive and buy them.

Ports:

need to get a better port then Nassau. Private Island?? Grand Turk?? other.

St THOMAS: If you want a great secluded beacj then you must go to Honeymoon Beach on Water Island. Is a small , secluded , sandy beach in a cove. calm water. No loud noisy water sports. Has a great bar/grill there. You walk from the cruise terminal (10 mins) to the Crown Bay Marina. There is a map showing it on a sign right in the cruise prot. Walk to the marina restaurant/bar and there will be amsall red boat. $10 round trip per peron and talkes you the 10 min to Water Island. Then short (10 min) walk to the beach. Excellent. We have been there 3 times over the last several yrs. Heidi's grill has improved. they have chairs and tables now. Excellent fish tacos. It is a great place to relax.

St Martin: we usally take the water ferry to the beach and do some window shopping. We love to visit the Yoda Guy Museum/shop.

Loved the zip line. Did the flow rider for the first itme. Was very fun. Do it early in the cruise as it gets more crowded later on. Did not do therock climb wall or iceskating. Just did not get around to it. So much to do. Next time.

Again excellent cruise, excellent ship, best I have been on and I have cruised on many differnet lines. Want to try the Allure next time. I have 2 other cruises schedule this yr. One Carnival one HAL (Niuew Amsrterdam) again. Traveling those with 4 of our younger kids. Would have picked Oasis or other RCCL for those but the prices are better (3/4th free on HAL) and half the price for the carnival then RCCL so had to choose those when taking the family to control cost.

Publication Date: 10/27/13