Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by cruisersfromaustin

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by cruisersfromaustin
Oasis of the Seas
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

Amazing ship

Went on the Oasis because the rest of the family wanted to try the MEGA size ship. I wasn't sure I wanted to be confined on a boat with 6000 Friends. I was pleasantly surprised that most of the time the vast size and variety of events available spread the people out so it wasn't crowded. Exceptions were when shows held in the larger venues let out there were lines for the elevators and lines in the WJ during "peak eating times".

As others have mentioned in their reviews, getting on and off the boat was fast and effecient-even though we recieved notice that because of the government shutdown customs would be slow. It was still faster than we have experienced on other ships and ports.

Food: Ate in the Windjammer just once during the cruise-it was the same offerings and choices seen on all the boats but was the most crowded so we wanted to try the other options. Loved the Solerium Bistro for its healthy choices - egg white scramble, turkey bacon, yogurt with lots of toppings offered-nuts, fruits, granola. Good make your own salad bar at lunch, broiled salmon or other seafoods available along with nice variety of international style food. Central Park Cafe was also great for breakfast - yogurts, bagles with all kinds of toppings, breakfast samdwiches, fresh fruit. Also great sandwiches and salads at lunch. Wipeout Cafe was indulgence time in chips guacamole, queso, pretzel hotdogs, pizza, humburgers, fries and ice cream enjoyed while watching people on the zipline. Johnny Rockets for breakfast=typical diner experience but with singing and dancing waiters and watching families on the merry-go-round. But the meals we enjoyed the most were in the Main dining room- for breakfast and lunch they offer a buffet or menu service. We ordered off the menu but you can also go to the buffet and try whatever while you wait for your order. Great variety of food and felt less rushed and crowded than the Windjammer. Dinner each night in MDR, service was incredible, meals had some highs (beef tenderloin was the BEST I have ever had, moist and so tender you could cut it with a fork) and some lows (husband and brother-in-law only ate a couple bites of the prime rib-worst they have had but of course the waiter wanted to replace it with something else but the soup, salad, rolls and dessert were enough to satisfy them). Also inconsistent- my lobster tail was good but another diners was not.

Activities: If you can't find something to occupy yourself on this ship there is something wrong with you! Review the Cruise Compass with a highligher so you can decide what it important to you, believe me there were time conflicts each day where I couldn't go, see and do everything I wanted to do. And there were times I just wanted to sit on my balcony and read. We made reservations for all the shows but we couldn't get the comedian as many other people commented on too. Hopefully they will put them in one of the larger venues soon- there was a "family friendly" version of the comedians that you didn't need reservations for that was so funny- it made me really wish we could have gotten in to see the regular show. All the other shows we went to let people in the "standby" line in, don't know if everbody waiting got in but it looked like most shows could be attended without reservation. The talent in the shows were the tops! The singing in Hairspray was as good as on Broadway, the Divers were impressive (but storyline disjointed-just let them dive and show their incredible talent), the ice skating show was entertaining but also included a man and woman doing "sand drawing" on a light table that I could have watched for hours, the Fly With Me show had amazing special effects. Even though I reviewed the CC sometimes we were surprised with an event- a classical guitar player in Central Park we enjoyed while looking at the stars one evening, or the fountains on the Promanade dancing to music and with colored lights.

Pay For Services: my sister-in-law has been told she needs a knee replacement but did 3 accupuncture treatments on the ship that she said helped, she also enjoyed a facial. I paid for the week long use of the "thermal suite", steam room, dry sauna and heated loungers. It was crowded only once during the week and helped me get over allergy problems. Enjoyed the lemon ice water and showers (bigger than in my cabin)

Publication Date: 10/27/13