Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by JoePiz

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: JoePiz
Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Member Rating   Not Rated
Entertainment 5+

Norwegian Breakaway: Breakaway from high expectations.
Well let me start by saying that it was great vacation. Bermuda was great, and relaxing for a week was amazing. As far as my review of the boat, I will break it down day by day.

Day 1: Embarkation was fantastic. My fiance and I arrived at the port at 11:30 am, walked right through security with no lines, and walked right up to the friendly NCL worker to check in and was on the boat right after. Next was exploring the ship. We immediately walked to the off limit areas just so we could see them before we would be kicked out. The vibe beach club did not look like it was worth the money and I couldn't have been so right. Every time I walked by during the week it was dead. It is also removed from everything and there is no entertainment so it would be very boring in there. To me not worth the extra money. We walked into all the specialty restaurants and what stuck out to us the most was Cagney's and Modorno, and not in a good way. The other restaurants have their own decor that elaborates on the theme or the restaurant, but not these two. It almost looks like they needed a place to put them and just threw them above the Manhattan room and put the sign up with table and chairs. There is really nothing else. Very boring. When I got to our stateroom is was decorated for us saying "congratulations" that was bought from our families as we got engaged the day before at central park. It was great to see the room was ready and decorated. I did not find the rooms to be "smaller" then usual. Its a cruise ship, the rooms have always been small. I did notice however that the shower was bigger! (or at least it felt bigger) Also, don't fret, the balcony was perfect size, it fit 2 chairs and a table comfortably. We did not feel crammed at all. The sail away party was fun. Normal sail away party. It was the most involved the Cruise Director Julie was involved all week. (more later) We left 30 mins late, and when we did, black smoke came out of the smoke stacks getting some people. Thus to say guest relations line was pretty crowded with people who looked like the just got out of a coal mine. We ate at Savor for lunch that day, and the food was good. no complaints. Taste and Savor are identical. Very casual place. Not my style for dinner. Taste, savor and Manhanttan room all have the same menus. Later that night, we went to the Manhattan room which was very nice. Defiantly the best included restaurant in my opinion because of the atmosphere. There was a live band play nice background music and one night when we were there they even had the people from burn the floor dancing. That night we went to see burn the floor. To me it was ehh. After the second dance it started getting repetitive. Also, there were no popular songs so it wasn't fun to watch. If they would of took a page from dancing with the stars and had covers of popular songs it would of kept me more interested. The rest of the night I spent at the craps table! :-)

Day 2: I woke up early to go for a nice run. To my surprise the track area was very crowded! ( its vacation people your not suppose to exercise :-p) After a few miles I went back got a shower, and went up to the buffet for breakfast. The omelet station is a popular stop, and rightfully so. They were very good and were actual freshly cooked eggs. I enjoyed the french toast and sausage, but was not a fan of the rest, esp the pancakes (not regular buttermilk pancakes). After breakfast we went off to the pool. It was cool and windy so we couldn't really tan by the pool. The group stayed outside until lunch time. I snuck of to go to the meet and mingle. We had a big turn out and even the CEO showed up. It was cool to talk to him and I even got my picture with him! Side note about pool, I noticed the cruise staff didn't have many games going on outside and found this to be a bit disappointing but was hopeful for the rest of the week. We went back up to the buffet for lunch and it was good. After that we went to the battle of the sexes game. Terrible turn out and the cruise staff did the best they could but it just wasn't meant to be. Back to the casino for us as there was not much planned in the freestyle (which seemed to be the theme) and then dinner. We saw second city's 9pm show. It was ok at best. The one tiny girl really brought them down. She was really really really bad at improv, which is their entire act. I am a big fan of comedy so I was let down by this. And guess what we did after this..The casino! Then we went to bliss for a night of drinking and dancing.

Day 3: Woke up a little later this morning after a long night :-) My fiance and I decided we would splurge and get a couples hot stone massage. Well, you couldn't pay me to go back. It was by far the worst massage I have ever received and for the extremely over priced price you pay, you would assume at least a good product of better, but I have to tell you it wasn't any thing worth the money. I complained but they offered me to come back and they would take 10% off a newly purchased massage ( no thanks!) After breakfast I went up to the Basketball court to play. Was disappointed the nets were not the standard ten feet. They were probably around 8 feet.. Oh well it was still fun. Afterwards I went to go try the water slides! Very fun. the big guys are intimidating, but so fun! After we dried off we went inside to grab lunch at Oh Sheehans and watch deal or no deal ( its $20 a card and unless you are extremely lucky its almost like donating money, not worth it.) That night, we saw the Circa Dreams show! All I can say is wow! The food was fantastic and the show was absolutely amazing! After the show we went to see second city do the late night show of the second city, and again,, ehh. The same lady drug them down. We went to bed after this because we had to get up early to go to Bermuda the next morning.

Day 4: We woke up and grabbed breakfast and went on a tour of the island. We didn't get back tot he ship until dinner time and we had dinner in the Manhattan room and then went back out to harbor nights! pretty cool stuff. it was an early night for us as the casino wasn't open and the cruise staff had nothing going on.

Day 5: Went to horseshoe bay for the day and the dockyard when we got back. That night we went to Modorno. We sat on the waterfront which was super nice! It was great to sit outside and enjoy a nice meal. It was a lot of food but they came around with the non beef items for the first half hour and then came by once with each beef item and that was it. So between that and the decor I was a little disappointed. Afterwards we went to go see rock of ages. OMG! It was amazing! In the beginning of the week they had technical difficulties and had to cancel the shows of that day but ours was right on point! Very Very Very good!

Day 6: We went to Hamilton for a little souvenir shopping for a few hours by furry and were back by lunch. We hung out by the pool and hoped for a sail away party but there was nothing. The cruise director Julie was harder to find then the CEO of NCL and the captain. She was irrelevant and never showed up to 95% of the events, and the ones she did show up to she was very scripted and her appearance was short. There was not a lot of things planned by the cruise director and staff. I was not very happy about this. Of the things planned they were very unorganized. Oh well. That night we went to the 80's party/ fireworks in Spice! Wow, the place can only hold maybe 1k ppl max, well the near 4k people on the ship want to see them and it was jammed packed and not really fun. The fireworks were really cool, but they need to open up additional viewing areas because the entire ship all jammed into the back of the ship in a small area is not a good idea.

Day 7: Finally got to do the ropes course! So cool! I was scared to death to walk the plank, but I did it! Twice! So cool. After that adrenaline rush, we went to La Cuciana for dinner. Wow! Amazing. Atmosphere was great, service was great, food was amazing. Decor was also very cool. Defiantly the best restaurant on the boat. Food was good, service slow. Later we did the quest game show. It was suppose to be in spice but it was raining so instead of putting it in another place where the can make sure no young kids walk by, the put it in the atrium, thus PG-13ing the whole event which means it wasn't as funny as it could be. Again, on ever other cruise I have ever been on, the cruise director was in charge of this game, but not on this cruise.

Other random things: The bath towels and washcloths were so rough and not soft and comfy. For people dealing with sensitive skin or sun burn, this is a huge deal. Slam Allen was great, check him out (don't remember what night we went to see him) The ice bar inst as cool as the pictures make it look. Your in an industrial sized freezer, with two ice sculptures in it. Other then that its just a freezer with a bar in it. Could of made it cooler. Was def disappointed. Ocean blue was a hot ticket, if you want to spend the money make your reservations in advance or run to the reservation desk right away. Like I said the cruise staff barely had any activities going on and when they did they were all at the same time. Out of all the cruises I have been on I thought Julie was the worst cruise director I have seen. This was disappointing because a cruise director is such a big part of the cruise. Overall the ship didn't have a wow factor. I remember going on the Allure of the Seas and every step I took I was amazed! Not on this ship. It reminded me of an refurbished regular ship. Nothing to spectacular. Also, the waterfront is over-hyped. Very plain.

Overall I wasn't impressed with the cruise. It was fun and the shows were good. But for all the hype, it was alright at best. Hope there is not to many typos, it's getting late! Any questions let me know and I will be happy to answer anything for you!

Publication Date: 05/28/13