Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Camilla32

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Camilla32
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: Camilla32
Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: BA

Somethings are broken on the Breakaway
For a ship that has openly sought the handicapped by allowing service animals, there are several areas which need improvement. My mother, age 83, uses a walker and the corriders on deck 13 were too narrow for her to pass the laundry carts(or other passengers) which necessitated my having to continually ask the stewards to move the cart. The very pleasant (extra charge, of course!) adults beach club has no elevator access and the wheelchair lift was not working when we tried to exit so I had to get a supervisor to allow us to use the crew elevator. The wait for wheelchairs on disembark was over two hours which was the worst we had ever experienced.

While many of the crew were very pleasant and helpful and seemed to genuinely want us to have a nice voyage, others seemed untrained and/or unhelpful. Since the ship was new, many of the guest services staff were unfamiliar with what deck places were on. Service in Cagney's and particularly, Moderno, was poor and all the speciality restaurants rushed us. Ocean Blue was great and old stand-by Le Bistro was also good with good service throughout. We enjoyed Carlos Bake Shoppe too.

The bars on deck eight are attractive, but the smoke wafts upwards to the cabins on the non-smoking side of the ship which is unpleasant. The fact that there are no drawers in the cabins was disturbing and the tight space made getting my mother's walker in and out very difficult. The bathrooms were very nice. The balcony was tiny.

Most disturbing was that on the night before disembark, I put one of the suitcases in the hallway beside the cabin and went inside for the next. When I tried to open the door I found the first suitcase had been placed in front of it. When I asked the steward in the hallway(not ours) why he told me that he had moved it there because it was our suitcase. I explained this was a bad idea and went back inside to get my purse and the key so I could get my mother. Well, when I tried to open the door this time(five minutes since the last time) both suitcases had been put in front of the cabin door. The doors open outwards and I could barely get the door open. I complained to guest services who got the supervisor, who seemed very surprised, and promised to deal with it. Not the best ending.

I did like the vast array of dining choices and the variety of entertainment. Everything was nice and new - no frayed towels or dirty anything. Only one small pool for such a large ship doing southern routes seemed poorly planning and there is no adults pool with steps to walk in as there is on the Gem, Jewel and Hawaii ships. Again, with the number of handicapped passengers on the ship, this seems poorly planned.

Nonetheless, with the Breakway homeported in NY, I will probably return on another voyage. Off on Cunard to Norway from Brooklyn in June.

Publication Date: 05/27/13