Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by Roll with the tide

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by Roll with the tide
Norwegian Sky
Norwegian Sky
Member Name: Roll with the tide
Cruise Date: March 2013
Destination: Bahamas
        13-15 1.0

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
The good, the bad and the ugly.......
We liked the fact that we could get an aft suite on this cruise, and our teenager wanted to see Atlantis, so we booked it. If we hadn't booked this suite and gotten the VIP amenities that went with it, we would have been miserable.

When we first arrived, the staff were very hospitable and escorted us to a private room where we waited to board the ship. Then we were taken aboard to Cagney's steakhouse for a private lunch while everyone else boarded. It was lovely! We then headed to our suite, and I just about upchucked my lunch once we got off of the elevator. THE SMELL WAS HORRIBLE! The hallways were polluted with a stench (much like vomit), and we chalked it up to possible drunk spring breakers blowing chow on the carpet on the cruise previous to ours, which had just disembarked before we got on. Another cruiser made the same comment, and his room was near the elevator. At least ours was further back. The suite was awesome, with a separate bedroom and sliding door to the balcony. Our teenager took over the living room area and slept on a pull-out love-seat. The bathroom was very big and had a shower and jacuzzi bathtub (which didn't work the first time we tried it, but was later reported to be fixed). Our concierge, Leah was very friendly and helpful. Our butler was just as nice.

Our first excursion at our first port (Freeport) was cancelled due to the water being choppy. It was the "Sea Safari Snorkel by Boat". If you book this, make sure you have a backup snorkel plan. We didn't find out it was cancelled until after breakfast when they put a notice on our door. It was then too late to book another snorkel excursion, which really bummed me out since that was what I was looking forward to on this trip. The next day we docked at Nassau. We booked the "Aquaventure" for my husband and teenager (his reason for this trip) and I went on the "Atlantis Beach Break". This was not cheap. During Spring Break, it was $159 a person for them and $79 for me. I read somewhere else that other people took a cab and only paid $40 for a day pass to Atlantis, but it did not include the "Aquaventure". Atlantis is beautiful. I had been there before, but wanted my teenager to experience it. We were tired after the full day there.

Back on board the Sky, at 3:00 am, I hear a faint alarm in the hallway. I am thinking a drunk college kid has pulled the fire alarm. I went back to sleep.Then I hear the captain, so I jump out of bed and opened our door to hear his announcement. "Ladies and gentlemen, there is no need to panic" is what I heard. REALLY! The bedroom sliding door slams shut and it wakes everyone else. The ship was listing due to the power going out. I must admit due to all of Carnival's issues, I was freaking. I prepared to abandon ship. Everyone was out on their balcony trying to figure out why we were leaning to one side. After 20 minutes, the power came back on and we were on our way. A transformer on a generator became overloaded and fried causing everything to shut down. We went on a private tour of the bridge the next day, and we got the info first hand from the Captain about what had happened. I was very relieved to know that NCL does put safety first, and followed all necessary emergency procedures to fix the problem. When we got to Great Stirrup Cay, NCL's private island, the sea was too choppy in the morning for the ferries to transfer passengers. I can attest to that. We watched them do trial runs while sitting on our huge balcony. It wasn't safe and although disappointed AGAIN, I appreciated the decision. By afternoon, they were transporting passengers back and forth, but we had to skip it because our bridge tour was upcoming in the afternoon. AGAIN.....NO SNORKELING......BUMMED!

The food at the complimentary main dining rooms was adequate. The first night is lobster night, and it was tasty. Since we booked a suite, we had breakfast and lunch at Cagney's Steakhouse (absolutely awesome)! We did pay extra to have dinner there one night just to sample that menu. We also had dinner at the Italian restaurant. It was pretty good as well. We checked out the buffet one day for lunch out of curiosity.........Oh My......No way! Dried burgers, hot dogs or goulash. We hightailed it back to Cagney's. Disembark was just as easy as Embarking. We had an escort as well. That smell came back in the hallways toward the back of the ship. We now contributed it to sewage getting pumped out of the ship. When it was bad, it was nasty. I had to spray perfume in my shirt before leaving the room, then stick my face in my shirt in the hallway to get on the elevator to go anywhere. We started to avoid the aft elevators all together.

OK, so all in all, we had issues. Like I said before, if we had not had a suite and huge balcony to escape to, we would have gone stir crazy. We heard the shows were just OK. We spent our extra time in the casino. Won a little money and put it all back. You get what you pay for, and this cruise is no exception. If you are a college kid, you will love this cruise. It took me a little longer than usual to get my "land legs" back once we got home.

Publication Date: 03/29/13