Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by sheryl319

Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Enjoyable short cruise
My husband and I enjoyed this cruise. We had previously taken a Carnival cruise to Cozumel and Progreso in August from Galveston. While we enjoyed that cruise, the ship was overrun with children. We did not enjoy having so many children running around. On this Norwegian cruise, that was not the case. There was a noticeable difference in the age of the passengers. The embarkation was much easier and quicker than the Carnival cruise. We got on the ship early. Our room was available early. The buffet lines were not as long on this cruise. The food was comparable and acceptable. I'm a vegetarian and found plenty to eat, though nothing was spectacular. We prefer the buffets to sit-down dinners, so this worked well for us.

We had a balcony room which was smaller than the one we had on Carnival, but the balcony was much larger and more accommodating. The room was clean and our room steward was very nice. He always remembered us and had long conversations with us. The bathroom had only liquid soap and shampoo, no bar soap. We did ask for some and our steward gave us a bar.

We played ping pong and I liked how you could just get the supplies without having to go to the desk to get them like on Carnival. There were 2 pools and one was designated for adults only. I liked that feature, though it didn't really make much difference since the water was cold and there weren't too many kids anyway. The hot tubs were plenty busy!

We had excellent weather the entire time even though the water in the pool and at the beach was a bit cold. I swam anyway.

Drinks were expensive ($33 including tax and gratuities for 6 bottles of Bud light), but we expected that. On the Carnival cruise, they stopped selling Bud Light after we left Texas and the price of beer went up at sea. We were told they weren't allowed to sell it outside of the port. On this cruise, they sold Bud Light the entire time and the price was consistent. I'm not sure why this was so.

They did a lot of raffles in the stores on the first night. I won a free "health analysis" in the gym/spa. I wasn't very impressed. The guy hooked me up to some electrodes and measured my water retention then tried to sell me some algae supplements. I'm glad I didn't pay the $35 normal price as I wasn't impressed. His English wasn't so good and his sales skills and finesse were lacking. The spa treatments were much more expensive and the spa didn't seem to be so busy. Carnival's spa treatments were less expensive.

This cruise had a shopping consultant who shared with us tips and tricks for shopping in Nassau. I enjoyed learning a few things about jewelry and he gave us coupons for lots of free things in the stores.

When we got off the ship in Nassau we were approached by a taxi driver who took us on a 2.5 hour tour of the city. We enjoyed this tour for $25 each. There were 2 other couples with us. We went to Atlantis, saw all the different residential neighborhoods, visited a beach, ate some conch, drank coconut water, saw the Queen's Staircase, did a little shopping and got a lot of good BS from the driver. He dropped us off near Bay Street and we did more shopping and picked up our free items from the stores. I recommend finding a good taxi driver like that as we got to see some areas we would not have otherwise and it was cheaper than the ship's excursions. We still had plenty of time to do more shopping too.

The debarkation process was quick and easy. We carried our luggage off and found it a quick, smooth process. We were surprised as we had waited a long time in the line to get off on the Carnival cruise. Customs was quick and easy too.

Publication Date: 03/30/13