Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by 1FreeSpirit

Cruise Date: February 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: O2

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Everything I expected and a little bit more!
So my daughters and I had been looking forward to this cruise for a very long time. This was our first cruise experience. It's the end of February and we just had a huge snowstorm so I was ready and eager to leave. I must say that the everything went smoothly. NCL and the Sky get top marks for organization.

Embarkation - February 25 from Port of Miami:

Seamless - we arrived around 12:30. Were in line for about 2 minutes before we were at the counter. Check-in took about 1 minute and we were boarding the ship. Our cabin was ready and one of our bags had already arrived even. I knew the state room would be small, but it was fine for the four or us, 4 bunk beds, a tiny bathroom, the complimentary chocolate strawberries and wine were there, plus a tray of the most delicious cookies. The room was spotless. Spent about 10 minutes in there and then went for lunch at the Garden Cafe.

The Ship overall:

I was very impressed by how clean everything was. The ship is beautiful. Still amazed how they fit all that on a boat. If this is supposed to be one of the smallest in NCL's fleet I can't wait to see one of the larger ones. All of the amenities were as pictured or described, and were great. I was most impressed by the Stardust Lounge, what a beautiful theatre.

Food:

Very, very good. Between The Garden Cafe buffet restaurant and Crosssings sit-down service, we didn't have time for any of the specialty restaurants or the 2:00am pizza and wings or the room service. The food was delicious and plentiful and the service fantastic. If you can't find something to eat on this ship there is something wrong with you, lol. I had one of the best steaks I've had in a long time at Crossings. Bravo! Only 2 of us were old enough for alcohol so I ordered a couple drink at the sail away party, otherwise we didn't drink much so I can't comment much on the quality of the prepared drinks.

Ports:

This Bahamas itinerary is good for first-time cruisers. Had a very nice afternoon on Lucaya beach in Freeport, after shopping for nick knacks and souvenirs earlier that morning. The next day (Nassau), went on a bus tour and more shopping in Nassau, including Atlantis which is gorgeous. Third day (cruiseline private island "Great Stirrups Cay" - my least favourite stop if I have to choose one because it looks kind of fake, but it was still nice to sit out all day on the beach. Can never go wrong with that. The BBQ lunch was just OK but the beach entertainment was quite good.

Entertainment and Activities:

OK, some of the shows were a little cheesy, and again we didn't have time for many activities as it is a short cruise with no at sea days but I have no real complaints about any of it.

Hospitality:

Norwegian crew and staff get an A from us. We never wanted for anything and the staff was among the best I've seen anywhere. Service in the restaurants - they were always there when we needed them but never hovered around when we didn't need them. Crew and staff was great at getting everyone involved in activities, games and dancing etc.

Disembarkation March 1:

Again, smooth as could be. We'd booked a bus tour of Miami through NCL so we were taken to a specific location and then left the ship as a group. No problems at all.

Overall:

what more can I say? We had a great time and I can't wait to go on another cruise. Just being out there on the water feels good. Overall everything went smoothly. Everything felt comfortable. Communication was good so we always knew what was going on and what was expected. Exiting and re-boarding the ship at the ports was a quick and seamless process. And there was hand sanitizer and the "washy washy" ladies everywhere.

We had nothing to compare with, this being our first cruise but we all had a wonderful experience.

Many thanks to NCL and the Norwegian Sky!

Publication Date: 03/16/13