Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by vegaspat

Cruise Date: September 2012
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: N
See More About: Liberty of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

GREAT TIME ON THE LIBERTY
We arrived in Barcelona the day prior which allowed us to take time and enjoy the city.

The embarkation went fairly smooth. We arrived around 2 pm and waited about 30 - 40 minutes in line. Once through we went to have lunch. It was busy but not too bad. Our cabin was located on the 7th deck behind the library - perfect quiet location.

The Liberty of the Seas is a really nice cruise ship. Laid out very well. There weren't that many kids on the ship because it was mid September.

The Saturday Night Fever show was really good and the rest were average at best. The piano bar entertainer (David Curtis) was simply the best - the bar area was packed every night. The few times we went to the disco it was pretty dead not sure why.

The promenade area was very nice to sit and relax after dinner. I had one cupcake and it wasn't very flavorable. The Pizza and snacks were pretty good (at no extra charge)

We ate at 9 pm and had a really good table group. Our waiter brought us a chopped salad in a large bowl every night for the entire table - I loved it!! The food was very good but not great. There is no lobster night but they do offer it for an additional cost - boo.

We went to Johnnie Rockets once. there was a $5 cover charge but it was worth it.

I enjoyed the flow rider. I had done it before on the Allure and that helped me a lot - the lines were pretty short - waited no more than 10 minutes. Tried the stand up and fell each time but I was getting better at the end

Toulon, France - Just walked around town and went back and enjoyed the ship. Not much to see.

Nice, France - We took the train to Nice and found it very busy. We went to the beach and found that it was all smooth rocks. We did find two beach volleyball courts that had sand so we laid out there. We found a great Crepe restaurant with the help of a waiter from another restaurant (wow). Loved my apple crepe. Did not make it to Monte Carlo.

Florence, Italy - We took a private tour with Miles & Miles. We arranged it 3 other couples thru the Cruise Critic roll call. The excursion was great. We saw the leaning tower of Pisa and took in all the sites of Florence. Marco our driver explained everything to us

Rome, Italy - We took another private tour with Miles & Miles. This was simply the best. Francisco our driver was amazing. We didn't have to wait in lines because they bought the tickets in advance and got us ahead of the crowds. Enjoyed the Vatican, Trivoli fountains and Spanish steps. We got to go to his Uncle's restaurant for a real Italian lunch - very good!!

Naples, Italy - We toured Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii. The tour was thru the cruise ship and it was ok not great.

One thing I have to mention is that the pool attendants really make sure that you don't save more than two lounge chairs - which I applaud. Too many people saving 8 or more lounge chairs and they never get used! I saw the pool attendant actually pick up towels and a backpack of one man who tried to save too many chairs. I heard that Royal had instituted a new policy on saving chairs. There were more than enough chairs available during our day at sea.

The disembarkation was great - we took our own luggage off the ship and stayed the night in Barcelona. Great trip overall.

Publication Date: 10/05/12